PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this, "Spike your Juice" ?

drunkmonkey
09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
They claim to have a special strain of fast yeast that will turn any 100% juice (with a sugar content of 20g) into an alcoholic beverage of between 4-14% alcohol in 24 hours only.

Wish I had this as a kid, or wish I knew how to do this as a kid *L*

http://www.spikeyourjuice.com/

Cylvre
09-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Haven't used it myself, but a blog that I frequent posted a test story on it this afternoon: http://gizmodo.com/5647605/turning-welchs-into-wine-in-48-hours?skyline=true&s=i

mmclean
09-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Hello "Cylvre",

Welcome to Gotmead?

Looks like it would be something fun to play with while waiting for some mead to come of age.

Wonder what the hangover would like. :eek:

Cylvre
09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Hello "Cylvre",

Welcome to Gotmead?

Looks like it would be something fun to play with while waiting for some mead to come of age.

Wonder what the hangover would like. :eek:

Why thank you, glad to be here.

I wonder if a guy could just buy the kit once to start a culture with the yeast and keep using it over and over again. ??? Like you said it would be nice to fiddle around with while the good stuff is brewing.

Nubster
09-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I can see that being smuggled in to many jails (I used to be a correctional officer).

fatbloke
09-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Well as to "their claim".......

It's probably just one of the turbo type yeasts.......

You'd have to take a gravity reading of the juice out of the bottle, then another one after X amount of time to work out the alcohol content.

There's bound to be some sediment left in the bottom of the bottle though.

As for "balanced" ? dunno about that. I'd have thought it'd be similar to just adding a certain amount of vodka to the grape juice. It would be a little carbonated as some of the yeast would still be doing it's thing and there's always the possibility of it tasting a little yeasty.

I'd guess that you're just paying extra for the nice little packets, some nutrient and a little yeast.......

As to whether it's worth the money ? Your choice/decision.....

It certainly won't win any awards, but it's obviously aimed at kids who want to get pissed up.........

Chevette Girl
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
As for "balanced" ? dunno about that. I'd have thought it'd be similar to just adding a certain amount of vodka to the grape juice. It would be a little carbonated as some of the yeast would still be doing it's thing and there's always the possibility of it tasting a little yeasty.

I'd guess that you're just paying extra for the nice little packets, some nutrient and a little yeast.......

A friend posted a link to this on my facecrack page, the kit comes with an airlock that'll fit Welch's bottles.

It's probably a nice quick-acting yeast strain with some energizer, and adding vodka to grape juice probably isn't a fair comparison, as the sugar content would decrease with the alcohol content rising, and if folks around here can have a primary fermentation complete within three days why isn't it believable that 48 hours is enough to make something sparkling and alcoholic?

I'd be wiling to bet that the alcohol content will be different depending on how many hours it's been since you pitched the packet, too.

The yeast will just stay in suspension, unless maybe it comes with something that will make them settle out early? I know fermentation can happen quite well from the bottom... And maybe if it contained potassium sorbate, the number of yeast cells is finite (as I believe that lets them do everything except breed)?

AToE
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
This is almost certain to be less than great tasting, but hey, never hurts to do some whacky ferments from time to time.

And I agree, I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to put some bread yeast into some juice or honey water... man, if I had known how to ferment when I was in highschool my life would have been more interesting!

coffeeman885
10-08-2010, 12:24 AM
This is almost certain to be less than great tasting, but hey, never hurts to do some whacky ferments from time to time.

And I agree, I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to put some bread yeast into some juice or honey water... man, if I had known how to ferment when I was in highschool my life would have been more interesting!

If I had known it was so easy to ferment - well... anything I could have made so much money in Iraq. I didn't drink back then but I've never been against some light entrepreneurship. I have been kinda thinking about making something like this just for S&G. My friends are all either veteran/college students like me or middle school teachers which means we are borderline alcoholics by default - somebody will drink it.

wildoates
10-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I always figure that knowing how to make booze will stand me in good stead if TSHTF...I don't drink it, but should be able to trade it for other stuff I do want, and name my own price. :)

Having it taste good is secondary at that point, methinks. :)

AToE
10-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, in a post apocalyptic world I think I'd be pretty popular!

Chevette Girl
10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm so glad I already know how to do a bunch of things in case everything goes pear-shaped... although my condo isn't exactly condusive for living off the grid... but we have cooked over the fireplace during power failures...

If I were the type who plans to drink 48 hours hence, I might try something like this, but it's rare I actually get around to having anything... always have to drive...

drunkmonkey
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
So I wonder what yeast strain they might be using?

STLBrewer
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, in a post apocalyptic world I think I'd be pretty popular!

My friends keep telling me they are bringing guns, food and ingredients so long as I brew the beer and other tasty fermentables!

In other words, they are really glad I know how to do this!!! ;D