PDA

View Full Version : About Brewlogs and labelling:

Big Mac
09-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Always do both. I just bottled a gallon of some type of mead I was apparently experimenting with. There's some strawberry flavor of some sort in there. Other than that...I don't have a clue what it is. It's currently bottled with a label that says "mystery mead."

mmclean
09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I keep a log and number my batches. Batch #1, batch #2, ect. I then place a small round sticker on the carboy that batch is in. If I split a 6 gal in to smaller size carboys, I change to a letter in the same log. Batch A, batch B, ect. Worked so far. I guess when I go to bottle I'll add a small 1a, 2b, ect. somewhere on the label. :rolleyes:

crowquill
09-27-2010, 09:25 AM
In addition to a brewlog, I use hanging manila tags (http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Shipping-Reinforced-Eyelet-Manila/dp/B001B0AGRU/) on my carboys and with the bottles. I note the kind of mead and relevant dates on the tag so I can find it in my brewlog. So far, that's been working well for us.

Midnight Sun
09-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I use a handwritten label on a string attached to the carboy or bucket. The label has the batch number, pitch date, and start of aging date. When I rack, I just untie the string and move to the new bottle. Come in a box of 100 for about $3.

Chevette Girl
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I've tried a bunch of things over the years, and after a number of lost tags, inks faded to illegibility, and things that have fallen off my carboys resulting in confusion on exactly what I've just bottled, I've started using the lick-and-stick labels that came with one of my wine kits, there's enough room on the tag to record the type and start date (since I occasionally haven't bottled last year's crabapple/red currant/etc/ wine before I've started this year's), I also now add SG and racking dates to the labels to match my brewlog, if I only wet the label's corners or down the sides, it pops off easily enough and can be affixed to the next carboy when I rack. I've usually got between 40 and 60 gallons on the go at a given time so I label everything with the occasional exception of JAO when the fruit's still in it (I can tell the raspberry from the orange!), but as soon as I rack it, it gets labelled.

My brewlog contains everything I've done, in order, on looseleaf in a duo-tang (which is getting pretty fat now, I may eventually start archiving stuff that's been bottled for a year already), but I've made a spreadsheet index for it so I can locate something by its ingredients and date without having to flip through everything in the book to see if I meant THIS blueberry mel or THAT blueberry mel.

Mars Colonist
09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
I use wide blue painter's tape and a sharpie for all my beer batches.. seem to work alright for mead.

AToE
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I've just been using a sharpie to write the batch number right onto the carboy. Also, I keep my brewlog sheets in 2 seperate piles, bottled/drank and those still in bulk.