PDA

View Full Version : medlar mead ?

ash
09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
I plan to do something with medlar (Mespilus germanica).
Do I use them while the're green or while they are ready to eat (brown and rotten-looking)?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Medlar_pome_amoung_leaves.jpg/280px-Medlar_pome_amoung_leaves.jpg

mmclean
09-27-2010, 04:37 AM
I had to google medlar. Seems it is related to the loquat. You may find some usefull information by searching the forum for loquat as I know a few people have logs for using them. Maybe some of them can give you some first hand advise.

ash
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
yes, its apparently some kind of related fruit to roses. It's not very common but my parents happen to have 2 trees of it.

I think I will use it green (picked after the first night freeze) for primary and use the sweeter brouwn in the secondary.

Medsen Fey
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I've never used a medlar, but from the description,

Medlar fruit are very hard and acidic. They become edible after being softened ("bletted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bletting)") by frost, or naturally in storage given sufficient time. Once softening begins, the skin rapidly takes a wrinkled texture and turns dark brown, and the inside reduces to a consistency and flavour reminiscent of apple sauce. They can then be eaten raw,

It sounds like bletting (a term I was unfamiliar with) is needed, and using them unripe may or not be a great option. Of course, using them unripe could be like using crabapples, and that can still be fine.

Please do keep a good brewlog of your experience with these fruit.

Medsen

akueck
09-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Apple sauce fruit? That sounds awesome!

I'd bet you can stick them in your freezer if you pick them before the frost.

coffeeman885
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Apple sauce fruit? That sounds awesome!

I second your enthusiasm!

ash
10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
got about 2kgs of medlars (thats not a lot but them being applesauce fruit I guess it will give enoug flavour).
I'll put half of in the primary and the other half in the secondary I think