PDA

View Full Version : Accidently used a grapefruit!

Johnxdm
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Had my three year old daughter at Target, picked up distilled water to calibrate refractometer and the biggest orange I have ever seen, also known as a grapefruit. I did not realize it till I was cutting it up and had put the majority of it in my five gallon Joe's ancient orange mead. I only put one in, put wow, I have never made a mistake like that before.

John

Chevette Girl
09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Not the end of the world, especially if there's only one in 5 gallons!

How would the wine snobs put it... "Adds complexity"? :)

I've made grapefruit JAO on purpose and it's pretty good.

Medsen Fey
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Yep, using a grapefruit in the recipe works. The grapefruits are more bitter, but for folks that think JAO is too sweet, that may actually balance out better.

Dan McFeeley
09-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I've tried substituting other fruits in JAO batches with disappointing results. It only had me more convinced on the Ancient Joe maxim, "Don't mess with it!" Medsen's experience says otherwise, this might be an interesting new wrinkle on JAO. Keep us posted!

--

Chevette Girl
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
<shrug> I gotta mess with it, it's in my nature... and if I hadn't, I'd have never discovered my favourite variation - blackberry...

Johnxdm
09-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. After several (mistakes) while brewing scotch ales, I found that it turned out to be my best beer a lot of the time. I will let it go its course and see how it turns out.

John

PitBull
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
<shrug> I gotta mess with it, it's in my nature... and if I hadn't, I'd have never discovered my favourite variation - blackberry...
Pick one:
1) If it ain't broke... dont fix it.
2) Just because it's working well, doesn't mean it can't be made to work even better.
3) "Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet." (Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle). [I guess in this case "features" tranlates to "ingredients" or "variations" for mead.]

I choose #2. But that is the way engineers think, as explained here (http://www.i18nguy.com/engineers.html) (for you amusement). Unfortunately... they are all true.

Chevette Girl
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Pick one:
2) Just because it's working well, doesn't mean it can't be made to work even better.
3) "Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet." (Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle). [I guess in this case "features" tranlates to "ingredients" or "variations" for mead.]

I choose #2. But that is the way engineers think, as explained here (http://www.i18nguy.com/engineers.html) (for you amusement). Unfortunately... they are all true.

My engineering degree demands that I mess with things? Cool, that makes a great excuse for never following a recipe completely after the first time...

Medsen Fey
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM

LMAO. :laughing4:
Thanks.

AToE
10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Ha, based on what my engineer friends tell me, engineers think more like this:

Spend ages figuring out how to do something perfectly. Then just overbuild it by 400%. :p