PDA

View Full Version : marbles in mead

11x
10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
being new here i have a few silly ideas and questions running through my head. thanks for being patient with me.
i got my first batch of mead going now and i am thinking of the equipment i am going to need the neer future. i havent bought my carboy yet and the decision i am facing is the 5 gal,6.5 gal or the 7 gal. i know that once you rack a mead into the carboy for aging you want as little air in contact with the mead as possiable. i dont like to buy equipment more than once so here is my thought. i was thinking i will buy the 7 gal and when i put my 5 gallon of mead in it i could take up the extra space in the carboy by sanatising a bunch of glass marbles and add to the carboy to displace enough mead to fill the vacant air space at the top of the carboy? then i would have a big enough carboy for bigger batches if i want to do so. what do you all think?

PitBull
10-03-2010, 08:19 PM
There's a discussion on using marbles to reduce headspace here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15939&highlight=marbles&page=2).

There are also discussions on synthetic corks and inert gas. Pro, cons and personal experiences are discussed in all of them.

11x
10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
thanks, lol i guess i am not the only one with crazy ideas... lol

note to moderator. please deleate, due to my unability to use the search function...lol

Dan McFeeley
10-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Yep, the search function can be your best friend. A lot of topics have been discussed here, you'll be amazed how much is here once you start digging into it.

A quick note of warning -- marbles work, I've used them but prefer juggling carboy sizes and tipping the spillage to the mead gods. If you try this, it's best to buy your marbles from a pet store. Hobby marbles may have chemicals used to color them, which can leach into the mead and add a toxic chemical taint. Pet store decorative marbles and glass, if it's safe enough for fish, it's safe enough for your mead!

--

crimsondrac
10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I lean a bit more towards the inert gas myself, but the debate rages on. Guess I really do not want to deal with the added weight when it comes time to move the container. Plus, the gas is a great way to preserve open bottles of unfinished wine and mead (I know...unfinished bottle...lol).