PDA

View Full Version : No fermentation!!!

coffeeman885
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM
It has been more than 36 hrs since I pitched the yeast and I don't have a single bubble. The little bubbles that had been at the top of the must from mixing have even all popped so that there isn't a single little bubble in the whole jug. After school I am going to go to the LHBS and get another packet of yeast and probably a pH kit.

a)What else do I need to check with the mead?
b)What chemicals do I need to regulate pH? I figure varying amounts of lemon juice can be used to up acidity (is the a more appropriate chemical ingredient?) but what is used to bring up basicity if it is too acidic?

I am going to search but if someone has info regarding this matter I would appreciate it.

My Brewlog (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16697)

Chevette Girl
10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Before you add more yeast, check the SG and see if it's changed (hopefully not up again!!), give it a good stir, and see if it's at all effervescent, if it's not, your yeast might have been a dud packet. It happens. I didn't see anything in your brewlog that might cause the yeast to quit...

If you didn't use a starter the first time, I'd recommend at least hydrating the second addition, then when it's hydrated, adding some must to the water, and make sure it's bubbling before you pitch.

Medsen Fey
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
What temperature are you maintaining for this batch? Cold temps can make a long lag phase.

You don't need an acid test kit, that won't help you. You either need pH strip (that cover the wine range - 2.8-4.0) or a pH meter. If you find the pH is too low (the must is too acidic below about 3.2) you can use potassium bicarbonate (preferred) or calcium carbonate to raise the pH (up to about 3.4-3.6).

I doubt this is a pH problem unless you added acid or a bunch of lemon juice to the must. I would take off the stopper and aerate it well, then wait another 24 hours to see if it gets going. It you keep it around 70-75 F, that will be ideal for now.

If that doesn't work, Chevette Girl's recommendation is sound.

coffeeman885
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I didn't end up getting an pH strips. I did get some more K1V. The LHBS didn't have any Goferm but he told me that the Wyeast beer nutrient would be good to make a starter with. I don't know. I bought it and I guess I will try it if it comes to that. I will buy some Goferm and real FermaidK before my next mead endeavor.

I aerated the must and took a gravity and temp reading. The SG was 1.110 which was 1 point lower than yesterday but I bought and used a test tube today instead of putting the hydrometer in the jug. I consider the results to be negligible. The must was a 72F. I am going to give it 24 hrs and then pitch new yeast.

If you know anything about that nutrient and if I should use it to make a starter or not leave me a message.

akueck
10-09-2010, 01:00 AM
A starter is not necessary for a packet of yeast in this small amount of mead. Rehydrate per the package instructions and you'll be fine. Furthermore, do not add any nutrient containing DAP when you are rehydrating yeast, DAP can be toxic to the yeast before it is finished waking up. GoFerm is specifically for rehydrating, most other nutrients should not be used for this purpose.

coffeeman885
10-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Finally - fermentation! Does K1V usually have a long lag time? Thanks for all the help even though it seems that I was just impatient (but I mean 4 days... cmon).

AToE
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
4 days is almost thrice as long as the longest lag I've ever seen.

Medsen Fey
10-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Finally - fermentation! Does K1V usually have a long lag time?

Usually not (unless it is very cold), but yeast are nothing if not unpredictable.

Chevette Girl
10-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Finally - fermentation! Does K1V usually have a long lag time? Thanks for all the help even though it seems that I was just impatient (but I mean 4 days... cmon).

It could have been a dud package with very few viable yeast cells, I had one like that once (only once, which is why I buy in ones and twos and keep a couple in the fridge), I can't remember if it was 1116 or 1118 but it was Lalvin.