• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

clear or colored bottles

Barrel Char Wood Products

Neely138

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2010
Tyler Tx
I was just wanting to know if its better to use clear or colored bottles to bottle my mead. I just started making mead and I have five batches going witch will be ready to bottle soon and want to know witch is better to use to age mead for a long period of time. Neely138

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Hello Neely138,

Welcome to GotMead?

Exposure to UV light can hurt the mead. :glasses9:

Dark bottles are perferred for long term storage unless you are keeping them in a dark place where sunlight can't reach them.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Dark bottles are perferred for long term storage unless you are keeping them in a dark place where sunlight can't reach them.

Welcome to GotMead!

mmclean is completely correct.

That being said, there is nothing like a clear bottle with a nicely designed lable to showcase your "work", or "labor of love", as the case may be. So if you have a cool, dark place to store your mead, definately go with the clear.

rlauhead

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 5, 2010
Dark or clear bottles

I would use clear ones if bottling in 750 ml. wine bottles as it shows off your work better. You need to keep those out of the light though, but that isn't very difficult. If bottling in beer bottles, I would use a brown beer bottle. It's just a matter of personal preference IMHO.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
There is one style that might be particularly vulnerable to UV damage, and that would be a braggot. UV damage causes that skunky, off-flavor in beer that has been in direct light for too long, and so you run a similar risk when using malt/grain in a mead. If you make a braggot, you might consider putting it in some colored glass. Otherwise, feel free to showcase your work as others have pointed out. :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Just to make sure that we're completely correct - it is the changes that occur to a chemical found in hops, not grain, that causes the skunky odor in light-struck beer. Still, any beverage exposed to UV light will suffer damage, so it is best to keep everything you make in as dark an environment as possible. Dark bottles help, but storage in a dark room (cave, cellar, closet, etc.) is really best.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Also, if you just started and think those are ready to bottle soon, please do some research into stabilizing to prevent bottle bombs. Mead is usually aged for quite a while before bottling, and if you want to bottle early it's important to make sure they are 100% certainly stopped fermenting permanently, or you could end up injured.

On topic though, I've often wondered if dark brown bottles offer better protection than dark green?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I believe brown glass absorbs more UV than green. In either case, thicker and darker color is better than thinner or lighter color.

Jord

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Bowmanville, Ontario
Well I just picked up 6 cases of bordeaux style green bottles from my LHBS for $7.50/case...apparently they aren't that popular with the general public so they're trying to get rid of an overabundance of them.....so it's green bottles for me!!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Erm, isn't it just easier to use any damn bottle you want and then store them in those magical devices that absorb 100% of UV (and other light frequencies for that matter).......

Universally known as......

Cardboard boxes.......;D

regards

fatbloke

p.s. then it's just keeping it somewhere with a decent level of temperature..... or that's what I understand anyway.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Yeah, that works, unless you really don't have the space for boxes (I keep most of mine in open wine racks... I could drap cloth over ut might be ugly).

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Yeah, that works, unless you really don't have the space for boxes (I keep most of mine in open wine racks... I could drap cloth over ut might be ugly).
Ha ha! Yup, there's that technique as well, though if you got rid of the racks, you'd find that consistently sized boxes would contain more (think of stacking on a pallet for shipping.....):cool::eek:;D

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
of course, if your rack was in your wine cellar.... (Like mine)

I tend to bottle meads in clear and my red wines in green/brown.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I try to bottle dark wines in dark glass, I save the lighter greens and clear glass for white wines and light meads, I've got steel shelving in the basement that holds a combination of homemade and storebought wine racks and cardboard boxes on their sides because the racks don't fill the shelves completely... The homemade wine racks are solid 1/4" plywood so the only light getting at things is through the top of the bottle, but I am considering making a fabric curtain for the more open storebought wine racks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns