• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

sorbate and potassium?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shm0

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2010
i have a 1 gallon batch that i racked and add pineapple banana and cinnamon
before the racking the S.G was 0.97 and now it's about 1.02

is it ok to add now the sorbate and potassium with the fruit inside
or should i rack it again before adding them?
(basically i want to rack the fruit and backsweetning in a week or two)

Shm0

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2010
ok thanks
so i wait with them for now

another thing...how much time i should wait before adding them and bottling?

Shm0

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2010
oh really...i thought it's something like hours or days...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The key to that too is weeks after adding the stabilizers, if 2 or 3 weeks later the SG has not moved at all then you should be safe.

Shm0

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2010
ok got it..

now i wondring about carbonation
can u carbonate the mead after adding the chemicals
or it is even possible so carbonate and use these stabilizers?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ok got it..

Once you add sorbate to inhibit the yeast, the only way is to use forced carbonation. That involves putting the mead in a sealed container, such as a corny keg, and pressurizing the keg with CO2.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
That is correct, your yeast can't do any carbonating for you if they're dead (and I wouldn't ever try to carbonate something that is still sweet, only dry things, or things with unfermentable sugars/sweeteners should ever be bottle conditioned (carb'd by yeast)).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
ok got it..

Kind of. If you want a sweetened carbonated mead or just want to stabilize it, ferment it dry, prime and bottle it in screw-top bottles or something, give it a couple weeks to carbonate, then mix up the sorbate and sulphite with sugar and put a measured amount in the bottom of another batch of sanitized bottles the same size as what you use before. Chuck it all in hte freezer just until ice crystals start forming, then you can surprisingly safely pour off the carbonated mead onto the sugar (if sweetening) and chemicals, then cap it, invert a couple times to mix, and you're good. Near-freezing keeps the CO2 dissolved while you're pouring it from one place to the next, and pouring if off the lees decreases the amount of yeast left so the sulphites and sorbates should do the job, although you'd have to calculate how much of what goes into the bottom of each bottle based on the volume ... I think that'll be the hardest part... that and finding room in the freezer...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns