PDA

View Full Version : Boiled yeast

gregoryc
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I've read a number of posts in these forums that mention using boiled yeast in musts for yeast hulls and/or nutrients but I'm wondering what the YAN of a gram of boiled yeast might be. Does anyone know?

Medsen Fey
10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Approximately 35-40 mg nitrogen, so 1 gram added to 1 gallon will provide approximately 9-10 ppm YAN.

icedmetal
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
We should add this little nugget of awesome to one of the newbee guide apppendices. Good info, thanks!

AToE
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Roughly the same as goferm then, definitely handy to know. I wonder if commercially available yeast hulls have less YAN because they're suppposedly yeast-guts free.

wayneb
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Roughly the same as goferm then, definitely handy to know. I wonder if commercially available yeast hulls have less YAN because they're suppposedly yeast-guts free.

Yes - correct. Commercial yeast hulls have been washed to remove most of the internal cell components, since the usual desire when adding hulls is to use only the cell walls as binding sites for some proteins and other substances that can cause off flavors. Boiled yeast gives you both hulls and a little additional amino nitrogen, courtesy of the included yeast guts.

Bluedog
10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
What's YAN?

akueck
10-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen, aka YANC where C is content.

Another common one is FAN for Free Amino Nitrogen, which is not the same as YAN since not all nitrogen can be taken up by yeast.