PDA

View Full Version : stuck fermentation

HalD
10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I started a dry mead recipe using good honey from and apiary. I diluted it 1 gal of honey to 3 gal of water. I added acid blend, pectic enzyme, grape tannin,Bentonite, BA11 yeast inn the right measurements for 50 gal of mead. the starting brix ws 24. A year later I added more yeast and energizer to get i it going again. The SG is 1.06 and theph is 3.78I once again added yeast and go ferm and racked it and proceeded to areate it everyday. No fermetation has started up again. The mead tastes wonderful but you can tell its not fermented out, the alcohol is probably at 3%. What should I do now?? I hate the thought of getting rid of this batch.

YogiBearMead726
10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I started a dry mead recipe using good honey from and apiary. I diluted it 1 gal of honey to 3 gal of water. I added acid blend, pectic enzyme, grape tannin,Bentonite, BA11 yeast inn the right measurements for 50 gal of mead. the starting brix ws 24. A year later I added more yeast and energizer to get i it going again. The SG is 1.06 and theph is 3.78I once again added yeast and go ferm and racked it and proceeded to areate it everyday. No fermetation has started up again. The mead tastes wonderful but you can tell its not fermented out, the alcohol is probably at 3%. What should I do now?? I hate the thought of getting rid of this batch.

First off, welcome to GotMead!! :)

A couple of things. Did you really mean to type 50 gallons? If so, that's a huge volume of must, and I understand why you wouldn't want to toss it. Also, I don't think you needed to add pectic enzymes, since you don't have anything with pectin in your must. Typically it's used with melomels where pectins have been activated by heating. Also, while not too high, your must's pH may be a culprit, but that's probably not the issue.

Can I ask what temperature your must is at on average? If it's too low, it might be a culprit for the sluggish ferment. I'm assuming it's not too high, since that would most likely cause some off flavors/aromas from the stressed out yeast and you mentioned that the must tastes pretty good.

If you want to repitch more yeast (I'm assuming you just used more of the BA-11), you'll probably want to go with a strain made for restarting stuck ferments like EC-1118, K1V-1116, Red Star Cuvee, etc. These bad boys are tolerant up to around 18% ABV and don't need much in the way of nutrients.

That being said, you could always just keep this batch under airlock and use it top up the airspace in other batches, since you do say that the must is tasty. If you can't get this batch going, I'd say this is your best bet. Either that or cook with it.

Good luck! :)

Medsen Fey
10-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome to GotMead HalD!

If you pitch fresh yeast into a must with 6% ABV, most of the yeast will be stunned by the alcohol. This is a situation where building up a starter that is acclimated will serve you well.

Hightest's instruction (http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/StuckFerm.pdf) are a good place to start. The single best yeast for a restart is probably Uvaferm 43 if you have it available. EC-1118 (or Red Star's Premier Cuvee - the same strain) would be second choice, followed by DV10, or QA23 as other good choices. If you have a 50 gallon batch, I would start with 2 grams per gallon of yeast, then I would build up a starter that is around 2 gallons through the process of adding successive volumes of the must to the rehydrated yeast. I'd probably also treat the must with 0.5 grams per gallon of yeast hulls to bind potential toxins.

That will give you a good chance to get this finished.

Endeavor to persevere!

Medsen