PDA

View Full Version : 1 Fermenting hot, 1 Fermenting NOT

apc
11-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Last night we started two 1 gallon recipes. Batch 1, 4lbs. honey / re-hydrated 1 tsp. nutrient w/ d-47 yeast SG 113. . Batch 2, 3lbs. honey plus 10 oz. maple syrup ' re-hydrated 1 tsp. nutrient w/ d-47 SG 110. Both started in 1 gal. jugs , shook to oxygenate. This morning batch 2 w/maple syrup is bubbling away while batch 1 shows no sign of fermenting. The only difference I can think of is I mistakenly stirred the d-47 when I put it in the water & nutrient. The Lalvin instructions read let sit then stir. Could this small change cause this problem ?
I must add I was a bit surprised by the starting SG. Our bees must be sweeter than we thought....

chiguire
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Last night we started two 1 gallon recipes. Batch 1, 4lbs. honey / re-hydrated 1 tsp. nutrient w/ d-47 yeast SG 113. . Batch 2, 3lbs. honey plus 10 oz. maple syrup ' re-hydrated 1 tsp. nutrient w/ d-47 SG 110. Both started in 1 gal. jugs , shook to oxygenate. This morning batch 2 w/maple syrup is bubbling away while batch 1 shows no sign of fermenting. The only difference I can think of is I mistakenly stirred the d-47 when I put it in the water & nutrient. The Lalvin instructions read let sit then stir. Could this small change cause this problem ?
I must add I was a bit surprised by the starting SG. Our bees must be sweeter than we thought....

It has only been about 12 hours since you pitched. Don't worry about it. Let it go for 24 to 48 hours and then check the SG.

Furthermore, bubbling alone is not a great way to judge fermentation. Just sit tight and be patient.

Good luck!

apc
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Chiguire,
Thanks for the support. I was curious as to why one took off and the other sat ? Could there be more nutrient from the Maple syrup ?

chiguire
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Chiguire,
Thanks for the support. I was curious as to why one took off and the other sat ? Could there be more nutrient from the Maple syrup ?

Sorry. I misunderstood your post.
Could be, and I honestly don't know...
I have 0 maple experience in fermenting.

akueck
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Just to check, your gravity readings were 1.130 and 1.110, or were they 1.113 and 1.110?

If the former, I'd expect your batch 1 to start slower with the much higher gravity.

YogiBearMead726
11-17-2010, 01:13 PM
It could just be that the maple syrup one had a lower SG than your other batch did. This could mean the D47 had an easier time getting started and is still acclimating in the batch with a 1.130 SG. It's not an insanely high gravity, but it could be the culprit.

Otherwise, like chiguire said, I would start to worry until at least 48 hours have passed and there's no change in SG.

Edit: I type slowly...*see akueck's post*

P.S. For clarification, did you rehydrate your yeast with Go-Ferm or actual yeast nutrients? Not positive, but I remember reading that DAP is toxic to yeast during rehydration. Some yeast nutrients (like Fermax) have DAP in them.

But since one batch started and the other didn't, I doubt this is the issue. My money is still on the gravity being the problem. Just keep the rehydration thing in mind for the future, I guess. :p

apc
11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Akueck,
My apologies. Yes you are right the 1.113 and 1.110. Should I shake the jugs each day ? This is the first time I started anything in a jug instead of a primary bucket.

akueck
11-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Aeration is helpful for getting off to a good start. I'd be careful shaking a gallon jug, however. You're most likely to be showered by mead. If you have a long-handled sanitizable spoon that fits in the jug, you can give the mead a good stir with that. Start slowly so you don't get any surprises.