PDA

View Full Version : Should a basic apple-mead end up clear?

BT Mead
11-20-2010, 12:07 PM
My first mead brewing experience was the 'Ancient Orange Mead' and it came out perfectly each of the three batches that I made. For my fourth mead I decided to change out some ingredients, namely the oranges, and replace them with apples.
To simplify things I added only the cinnamon and cloves for what I hoped would be a nice spicy cidery flavor. I followed the rest of the recipie as stated and watched as it fermented away.
After six weeks it stopped bubblin and I decided to rack it to a second carboy since I didnt have enough bottles to bottle it yet.
QUESTION: When doing an apple mead will the end result be clear or have the coloring of a cider and be the same golden cloudy color?

YogiBearMead726
11-20-2010, 02:38 PM
First off, welcome to GotMead!

Typically, if you let it age long enough, any mead will end up clear. Now, there could be exceptions to that (like protein haze), but I don't think you'll wind up with that problem here. Most cysers start off being very cloudy, but after a few months, it should drop out most of the sediment and be clear.

If you want to speed things along, there are additives you can add. Pectic enzyme might help. Sparkolloid is a fining agent that might be more effective. Just be aware that using too much could strip out flavor and color.

However, nothing beats patience for getting really good mead.

This sounds like a tasty change to JAO. Maybe a JAApple. Just know that the guarantee for JAO is voided whenever you change from the original recipe. :p Good luck!

Frankwm
11-20-2010, 07:04 PM
This sounds like a tasty change to JAO. Maybe a JAApple.Yes, this does sound like a nice variation. Keep us updated on how it goes. If it works out well for you I might give it a try.

akueck
11-20-2010, 08:57 PM
The apple version will probably clear more slowly than the orange version. Orange peel seems to help with clearing. If you left the skins on the apple, the tannins will also aid clearing, although most dessert apples are low tannin.

sandman
11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Every once in a while I'll get a batch that doesn't quite clear. As mentioned, this can be simply due to a residual protein haze. Nothing wrong with it either way. I've got a gallon of a simple cyser aging right now as well. I went with cinnamon, clove, and a bit of nutmeg in mine. This particular batch is clearing nicely, but I've had others that just never did. I suppose it could make a difference waht kind of cider you use. I used fresh pressed honey crunch apple cider for my base. Lots of good floaties and nutrients in the fresh stuff.

BT Mead
11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
As fermentation progressed after the initial two weeks, it did clear from the golden white clouds of bubbles to a darker, cider color. I have to say it looks and smells wonderful already. Since I did change the recipie from JAO's I should probably be more patient with it... :)