PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy mead

gron151
11-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Is it common for mead to be fairly cloudy or not see through at two months in the fermenter? It has been racked once at the one month mark.

akueck
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
As a general answer, yes is it very common for mead to be cloudy after only 2 months.

Many factors affect clearing rate, such as final gravity, yeast strain, type of mead, oak, certain processes you might use during aging, etc. If you can post your recipe and process we can have a better idea of what you've got.

AToE
11-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I've got batches 9 months in that don't seem to have really cleared at all yet. Patience is the thing to have with mead!

gron151
11-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I was mostly just curious as I started a strawberry wine at the same time and it’s crystal clear. I’m not in a hurry I’m starting 2-3 gallon batches at the end of each month and I have plenty of home made beer to tide me over :) If I remember I will take a look at my log book when I get home and post the recipe.

Chevette Girl
11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
There are a lot of factors in how fast a wine or mead clears... I have some that are good to go in weeks and some that take years...