PDA

View Full Version : newbie

zackterry
11-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi there ! I'm new to the mead making scene, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I've brewed my own beer and ciders in the past, and I'm stepping up to the challenge of mead making. Since I'm new to this, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-zackterry

AToE
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome to what is probably the single most authoritative resource for mead making in the English speaking world!

I'd recomend reading through the newbee guide (in the lefthand menu of this site). A lot of the info will be redundant for you, but some of the differences between meadmaking and brewing are extreme enough that you'll want a good working knowledge before starting your first batch.

Chevette Girl
11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Welcome aboard, zackterry!

I guess I'll say it before the mentors do, have a thorough read of the Newbee Guide. There's a lot of good info there and if you're already into beer and cider there shouldn't be too much to confuse you there.

Get to know the search tool on this page, this wonderful group of folks have tried fermenting just about anything, it's always good to review other people's experiences before you start making something with a particular ingredient.

And if you can't find it, ask!!

If you like sweet drinks, I highly suggest trying a JAO, it'll at least be done fast enough to keep you away from any traditional meads or melomels you want to age but can't keep your hands off of :)

Golddiggie
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Welcome to Mead Making Mecca!!!

I would add, on top of what's already been said, that if someone here hasn't made/brewed/fermented it yet, someone's thinking about it... :eek:;D

Medsen Fey
11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome Zackterry!

Since no one has mentioned it, do check out the NewBee Guide. :rolleyes:

wildoates
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
What everyone else said, and although nobody else has mentioned it, I highly recommend spending some quality time with the Newbee Guide.

:)

zackterry
11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the wonderful input guys! The newbee guide seems really informative, and I've just got the supplys together for a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead. Not trying to rush it, mind, I just started there to get my feet wet, and a friend of mine made it before, and it's TASTY!!!

-zackterry

YogiBearMead726
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide". :rolleyes:

But, I digress. Welcome to GotMead zackterry! Once you start making mead...it's very hard to stop. :p

AToE
11-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide". :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was a running joke for a minute. (I think everyone knew that the people before them had mentioned it;))

YogiBearMead726
11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it was a running joke for a minute. (I think everyone knew that the people before them had mentioned it;))

*Sigh*...of course I don't pick up on the sarcasm. That tends to be a problem when dealing with the digital age of communication. :p

wildoates
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Sarcastic we are. But in a nice way. :)

zackterry
12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
LOL, nothing wrong with sarcasm at all ;).