PDA

View Full Version : Freezer

AK_Dreams
12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I've read some forums about people using freezers in their mead making, but I haven't been able to determine exactly what they are being used for. So I am curious about the use of that, and the ideal temperature for clearing mead and/or storing mead.

All of our mead whether in primary fermentation, clearing or aging sits in our dining room, which stays around 68 degrees all the time. We live in Alaska and can't really afford to keep it much warmer than that. :)

But, we can definitely put it somewhere cooler if it would be beneficial, and it seems like that just might be the case.

So I'm looking for suggestions of desired temperatures for clearing/aging meads and what people are using freezers for.

Thanks!

AToE
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
People are generally using them to lower temps during fermentation. Different yeasts have different temps they opperate best at, and it is generally assumed that lower temps produce higher quality mead (though too low and you'll stress out your yeast and maybe stall).

I can't remember about the temps for aging, though I know some people use very cold temps (above 0 celcius though obviously) to cold crash a mead in order to make it clear faster.

mmclean
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
There is a tread somewhere that talks about storing/ageing mead at the same temps as a wine (cellar temp). I think 54F was the mean.

Dan McFeeley
12-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Another reason for using a freezer is to "cold crash" a mead that is having trouble clearing. Dropping the temperature sufficiently low can sometimes helpto clear stubborn mead.

--

Golddiggie
12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm looking at getting an used freezer, pairing it with a thermal regulator (basically turns it on and off to maintain a set thermal range) for aging my mead... That way, I'll be able to keep the batches large, to (hopefully) get a more even/better aging of the mead. I'm also planning on (eventually) getting another freezer to cool ferment beers, keeping them in the 60-66F range for the entire process. Or what the yeast likes best, to give the desired characteristics... You can get the regulating device at several places (HBS sites/stores, or even Amazon) for $40-$60 (depending how how complicated/advanced you're looking to get)...

Dan McFeeley
12-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if long term aging, say a year or more, in a freezer/cooler would work well. This might need the imput of someone more experienced in this, but aging wine needs dark, cool humidity, and free from vibrations of any kind to age well, and the same may apply to mead. The vibrations from the cooling motor might be detrimental.

--

phreebyrd
12-01-2010, 11:11 PM
i split a batch to see how much a difference it would make, and with in a few days there was a big cloud at the bottom of the batch in the refrigerator an the one outside you cant even tell a difference. same process just after the second rack i split them up into whatever temp my mini frig is at! hope that helps you out

jayich
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I've read some forums about people using freezers in their mead making, but I haven't been able to determine exactly what they are being used for. So I am curious about the use of that, and the ideal temperature for clearing mead and/or storing mead.

All of our mead whether in primary fermentation, clearing or aging sits in our dining room, which stays around 68 degrees all the time. We live in Alaska and can't really afford to keep it much warmer than that. :)

But, we can definitely put it somewhere cooler if it would be beneficial, and it seems like that just might be the case.

So I'm looking for suggestions of desired temperatures for clearing/aging meads and what people are using freezers for.

Thanks!

I have two freezers with external temp. controls which I use, in addition to beer making, for cold crashing meads(to stop fermentation) and clarification, but also for cool fermentations(50 to 60F). I especially like the results so far using DV10, Lalvin 254, and K1V fermenting at about 54F. This takes longer, but I think you get a smoother mead with less harsh alcoholic tastes that is drinkable sooner, compared to usual room temp. fermentations.The local brewstore here in Anchorage sells the controlers for about $50(a few years ago).