PDA

View Full Version : Poltorak Mead?!

darthbooger
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
So I was surfing the net as I usually do, and came across a commercial mead called Jadwiga *its polish, aside from having an amazing name, it is also a Poltorak? Mead... I did some reading and if I read correctly this is a 3:1 or 2:1 Honey to Water ratio?!?!? I could not however get an estimate on the fermentation/aging time on one of these beasts... It sounds like a glass of liquid heaven to me, im just curious if anyone has any more information on this type of mead? Has anyone ever had this type of mead? Made this type of mead? And does anyone HAVE any of this type that I can try?

Displaced Hick
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
There is a good thread about polish meads here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15340&highlight=poltorak) with links to the official EU definitions of the various meads.

wayneb
12-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Seek out a bottle of Jadwiga Polish poltorak. It is the best commercial example that I've ever had.

darthbooger
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
cool appreciate it guys, im ordering myself a bottle now

darthbooger
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I just had a though actually, would it still be a poltorak if I used say... a cider? A poltorak cider, so I have an excuse to age it its first 6-8 months of aging in a barrel? Thoughts? If I get good feedback on this im definately doing this...

wayneb
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Most Polish meads are actually metheglins or melomels (or a combo of the two). The poltorak label only indicates the amount of honey used, not the other ingredients.

So if you're interested in following Polish custom, the use of apple juice in a batch won't be at odds with Polish meadmaking traditions.

AToE
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
How does it being a cyser also give you an excuse to barrel age it, but not if it's just a traditional? ???

darthbooger
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
cool, good to know, iv loved the metheglyn ive had so far, i just think something that takes that long to age deserves a barrel at least part of its life, and im really wanting to do a cyser in a barrel, hmmm i may do a 1:1 ratio for a cyser... thanks alot, as wlays GM!

darthbooger
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I just have this idea in my head im getting a barrel for x-mas and i always wanted to make a cyser, so ill knock out 2birds with one very delicious stone