PDA

View Full Version : Lingering odor in plastic fermenter

jpeshek
12-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Upon reading the newbee guide to making mead, there is a section that covers what types of plastic can be used as fermenters, such as pickle buckets etc., as well as advice on how to potentially remove the lingering odor (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1947&Itemid=14). I've been making mead and fruit/grape wines since February 2010, and my primary fermenter always smells like the last batch. I understand how important it would be to get the smell of pickles and barbeque sauce out before brewing, but what about the last batch of mead? I am using a no-rinse sanitizer before every batch, but that doesn't remove the smell. Any thoughts?

Medsen Fey
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Soaking overnight with a solution of PBW (or other percarbonate cleaner) will remove most odors from a plastic fermenter. I've not seen (or smelled :) ) anything that worked better.

wayneb
12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
A cheap (though not as concentrated as PBW) alternative percarbonate cleaner is powdered Oxiclean. A tub of that stuff can be had for less than $10 in most larger US supermarkets, and a couple of scoops dissolved into 5 gallons of warm water will usually eliminate the smells in plastic buckets with an overnight soak.