PDA

View Full Version : Price of honey

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I've been searching for a good source/supplier of honey, that won't cost me both nuts per bucket/pound... My initial batch (40 pounds) ran me $5/pound :o (ouch)... A local apiary wants $200 for 30 pounds :eek: (OUCH!!!)... Don't care how good THEY think it is, that freaking HURTS!!!

As of late last week, I think I've located a reasonable supplier for honey... 5 gallon bucket (so 60 pounds) of good wildflower honey costs $105 from them... Basically $1.75 per pound ;D ... I don't recall seeing it anyplace else for that good a price, for quality honey (the quality they say it is)... Only catch is the place is only open two days a week (Friday and Sunday) so I need to get there Friday (they're open 9-1) in time to get my bucket...

I'm interested to know what other people are spending for their honey (when needing to buy it)...

kudapucat
12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
We can get it for as little as AUD$5/kilo (approx USD$2.25/lb)
but good quality honey is most commonly bought at $8-$10/kg ($4-$5/lb)
These more expensive honeys come from professional migratory bee keepers, who have up to 10 different varieties available at any time.

But as my Dad's a hobby apiarist now, I don't really buy it all that often...

wayneb
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Here in the US, I will routinely pay between $1.75 to $2.50 per pound for bulk (5 gallon) amounts of honey. Prices have, in general, gone up a bit since the onset of CCD - supply and demand still influences the marketplace despite the economic downturn. BTW, the price can go higher (much higher) for exotic monofloral varieties, especially if they happen to be imported.

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
This stuff is about as raw as it gets... They keep it under 100F during everything they do to it, which isn't much...

They say that it was entered into a competition (forget when exactly, but pretty recent) where it took top place (tasting)... I'm going to ask around in this area to see if anyone else is using their honey or not... The woman said that they have brewers coming in for pallet loads of the stuff... Probably how they're able to keep the prices lower... Very little overhead, so it doesn't take much to turn a profit... Plus, I believe, they have a 'store' where they sell to the regular person... You know, those that are only looking to get a pound or two... I'll have to see how much they charge per pound there... ;D

Wayneb, I actually really like the wildflower honey... I used to only like clover, but since I got a taste of the wild stuff, I LIKE IT!! I think it has more character to it as well as more depth... But that's just my take on it...

DaleP
12-06-2010, 07:18 PM
What place

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
http://mvabeepunchers.com/
Merrimack Valley Apiaries... I like how they have "... bulk ingredient honey (available from five-gallon containers to tank truckloads)." :eek:

YogiBearMead726
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I've been very pleased with Miller honey. It's roughly in the range discussed. ~$2.25/lbs for Orange Blossom, Sage, and a few others. I think the Wildflower is cheaper. Plus, they were pretty helpful when they were out of what I ordered last time.

That said, I have yet to ask if the local beekeepers are willing to part with any of their liquid gold...and for what price. My thoughts are, support local. It cuts down on transportation costs (financial and environmental). So I'll definitely be willing to pay $4-5/lbs for some quality, local, raw honey. :)

Edit: I've bought some "exotic monofloral varietal" honey before, and paid ~$6/8oz. That said, it is from wild beehives, which probably also increased the final price on my end. Someone had to go into the Hungarian wilderness looking for the hives...not a job I'd enjoy, but I'm glad someone does it. This stuff made the most stunning show mead I've ever enjoyed. Side by side with the honey used, it was very apparent the two were peas of the same pod.

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I suspect that (once I have steady income again) I'll get some of the more expensive honey to use (the $200/30 pounds apiary)... I just need to get that money coming in from a day job first... :o

AToE
12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Unless I want to buy cheap blended (but unpastuerized) honey from the supermarket, the cheapest it gets for me around here is maybe $3.50/lb. I guess it's just the shorter season up here or something, but honey's just expensive, no matter where you get it (unless you want the cheap stuff).

I can get from Millers in the US at a lower price, but then shipping sends the price back up.

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Yogi, how much does Miller charge you for shipping on their honey?? Have you gone with a 5 gallon bucket from them?? I need to get the honey soon, since I'm planning on using some on Saturday (12/11)... Probably in another couple of weeks after that too (once that brew is out of primary, or I'll use my primary bucket)...

YogiBearMead726
12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Yogi, how much does Miller charge you for shipping on their honey?? Have you gone with a 5 gallon bucket from them?? I need to get the honey soon, since I'm planning on using some on Saturday (12/11)... Probably in another couple of weeks after that too (once that brew is out of primary, or I'll use my primary bucket)...

Since they're in California, shipping for me is ~$20. So $134 for OB or Sage. Works out to about $2.23/lbs. So this is cheaper for me than store honey (my prices at grocery stores are anywhere between $3.50 and $12 per pound). It could be higher cost if they don't have a branch out on the East coast that is closer than the one out here. But, when you're ordering, it will calculate the shipping cost. Just check out the site.

Edit: I've used it before and I'll post it again. This (http://www.honey.com) site has a honey locator that you can use to find a company that's closer and allows you to search by floral source as well. You'd be surprised what varietals are available (although maybe not economical for mead making... :p)

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Looked at the site and see they are in Ohio (not that far from me, closer than you are)... I'll see what it does to the price of the honey. If they charge ~$20, then it puts it over what I'd pay from the local place...

--update--
Added one 5 gallon bucket o bulk Wildflower honey to the cart... Entered my zip code and... @#$%^&*(*&^%$#@$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly had a coronary when I saw the shipping cost... Almost as much as the honey alone...

"Shipping (Ground): $70.36" WTF?!?!?!?!?!!! That's just INSANE!! Well, that rules out Miller for me to use for my 'normal' honey... Maybe if I need a pound or three of something special that they can get to me for less than I can get it locally...

YogiBearMead726
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Looked at the site and see they are in Ohio (not that far from me, closer than you are)... I'll see what it does to the price of the honey. If they charge ~$20, then it puts it over what I'd pay from the local place...

--update--
Added one 5 gallon bucket o bulk Wildflower honey to the cart... Entered my zip code and... @#$%^&*(*&^%$#@$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly had a coronary when I saw the shipping cost... Almost as much as the honey alone...

"Shipping (Ground): $70.36" WTF?!?!?!?!?!!! That's just INSANE!! Well, that rules out Miller for me to use for my 'normal' honey... Maybe if I need a pound or three of something special that they can get to me for less than I can get it locally...

Try the honey locator here (http://www.honey.com)

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Try the honey locator here (http://www.honey.com)[/url]
scratch that... DOH!!

BTW, the place I'll be going to on Friday is #1 on the list for MA...

YogiBearMead726
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
scratch that... DOH!!

BTW, the place I'll be going to on Friday is #1 on the list for MA...

Sounds like you're in business then. :) I like looking for crazy varietals every once in awhile for traditional meads. Coffee honey is high on my list.

Golddiggie
12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I'll reach out to the other places that are close enough to me in the morning... Anything over about 1-1/2 hours drive will be out. Especially when I can get to the one I was going to go to in less than half that...

PitBull
12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I just scored a 5-gallon bucket of very fresh, coarse filtered goldenrod honey for $125 ($2.08/lb.). Itís a small apiary so varieties are limited: wildflower, goldenrod and buckwheat. They also sell gallons for $28. The larger apiary in my area charges $160 for a 5-gallon bucket ($2.67/lb.).

Medsen Fey
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
BeeFolks (http://www.beefolks.com/) have some great honey - not necessarily cheap, but great. I've picked up several batches from them for things I can't get locally here in Florida. They are also great supporters of GotMead and the Mazer Cup.

AToE
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
BeeFolks (http://www.beefolks.com/) have some great honey - not necessarily cheap, but great. I've picked up several batches from them for things I can't get locally here in Florida. They are also great supporters of GotMead and the Mazer Cup.

Yeah, I've been wanting to do an order through them for a while. I'm hoping that if I buy about 3lbs of everything (or everything not clover or buckwheat) the shipping won't murder me.

mmclean
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I pay around $32 a gallon local.

Golddiggie
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I've re-thought getting the 5 gallon bucket o honey for now... Really more than I'll use before the next set of mead batches... I'm now thinking that around 10-12 pounds (basically 1 gallon) would be enough to carry me through a few months (maybe more)... Besides, I've put the monstrosity brew on hold for now too. Shifting to something that will be done a bit sooner...

mccann51
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I pay around $32 a gallon local.

This is exactly what I pay if I can afford to pick up the gallon (usually end up grabbing 5lbs for 17$, though). And to know it's supporting a local apiary doesn't hurt either.

Chevette Girl
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I went and dropped LOTS of support on my local apiary today (I have honey again!!) I pay $2.75/lb if I get them to put it in my own bottles, a gallon pail is $44 and I think next time I'll see about getting a 5-gal pail of the goldenrod honey just for a change from all this clover honey I've been using, same price so why not... I didn't get their pail price although I did confirm that they do sell it like that... I think I'll do that next time as I do have enough jars and smaller honey buckets to decant it into to make using it easy...

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I've been emailing with an apiary in NH for the past day or so... I've been made an offer I simply cannot refuse... For some samples of what I have pretty much ready (in bottles carbonating) I'm being offered a incredible deal on a 5 gallon bucket of honey. :eek: Basically, less than the cost of the 1 gallon I was looking to get (as of last night)... Even with the two hours (each way) I'll be driving, it's a SICK deal... Even if I burn though 10 gallons of fuel (round trip) I'm STILL getting a better deal than the place closer to me could offer... Plus, this is 100% local honey (the hives are in two counties, one in each NH and MA)...

I'll just need to be sure to pack the bottles for traveling (thinking lots of padding, and completely enclosed to prevent an 'accident' from happening)... I'm planning on providing two bottles of each brew, one if they want to try now, the other if they can wait until next weekend (or after I check for carbonation)... Even with what the bottles cost me, I'm STILL getting a great deal...

Love being able to work with people on things like this... Of course, this does mean that I'm going to have to make a batch with their honey ASAP... I want something to bring to them before the end of next year... Thinking that I'll make a lower ABV level traditional mead... Something with D47 yeast and a starting gravity to produce something in the medium to sweet range (not too far into sweet)... Thinking about 10-1/2 pounds of honey in a 3 gallon batch should do the trick... If it finishes around 1.015-1.008 (hopefully D47 won't go drier than 1.004, with a OG of 1.126) that should work... Enough of a kick to it to make it good, but still enough sweetness left in it... NOT going to heat the entire thing above 100F so that I keep all the goodness from this honey...

mmclean
12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Golddiggie

As has been pointed out in a few other treads, homebrewing is for personal use. Bartering alcohol is subject to taxation and is illegal with out the proper licenses.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't, just saying you may not want to broadcast it to the whole world wide web. ;)

Know what I mean.

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Golddiggie

As has been pointed out in a few other treads, homebrewing is for personal use. Bartering alcohol is subject to taxation and is illegal with out the proper licenses.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't, just saying you may not want to broadcast it to the whole world wide web. ;)

Know what I mean.

Bugger... well that kills that idea... ;)

Too bad I can't edit the post with that info in there now...

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
More I think about it the more I think I'll go with my thoughts as of last night... Get a 1 gallon bucket of the honey delivered for Friday (I hope) so that I can try it out. Will cost me less (in more ways than one) and worry me less... I really only think I'll need the large quantities once a year, if that. The gallon should keep me going until spring time, or when they have the first gathering... If not, then I'll get more as needed. Even though it will cost more in the long run, it's easier on the budget for the near term. Plus, if it takes me a while to use it, having to deal with 40+ pounds of solid honey (again) is not something I look forward to.

PitBull
12-08-2010, 05:54 PM
One of the local apiary owner's offered to buy "a bottle or two" from me as he'd never tasted mead. I told him I couldn't do that but I'd GIVE him a couple of 12 oz. samples the next time I was in the area.

It's part of my evil plan to get yet another person addicted to this hobby. BWA-HA-HA-HA!

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Thinking that I might opt for doing the same thing...

I'll give a sample, or two, for feedback and still purchase the honey... What they charge me for the honey is up to them, but I'll still be paying them in dollars...

AToE
12-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I'll be giving some of my mead to my honey suppliers for sure. Don't expect anything in return.

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm still thinking about getting the honey from the place closer... At about $1.75/pound, it's a decent deal... Just not sure if I want to have 5 gallons of honey in my place until I've used it all up... Could take me a while (like a year or more)... 1 gallon would be much easier to store, and last me at least a few months (or longer)... I also have another source that's pretty close (under 15 miles from where I live) that I could pick up 5 or 10 pounds of honey if I needed it... I've used their stuff before and it's good, but not nearly as inexpensive (about $35 for a 5 pound jar)...

Golddiggie
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
After sending emails (most of the day) with the apiary that I was going to drive up to on Friday I've just ordered 1 gallon of their honey... They're being kind and not hurting me on the shipping cost of it... I've also (after placing the order) asked if they have any kind of 'sampler pack' of what they have for honey varieties that I could also order/purchase... I just sent that message so it might take a little bit to get a reply... I've also found out about another local apiary/bee keeper that I might be able to purchase honey from. Always nice to have more than one source for things, especially if the source is even closer/more local... So that's three apiaries in the rough area (within about 80-100 miles of each other, driving distance, not as the bee flies)...

I do like ordering from places that are this close. It means that I can do the cheap (UPS ground) shipping and still get the item the following day (as long as I don't miss the cut-off time)... My order will go out tomorrow morning, and I expect to see it come Friday...

Basically, I'm paying just over $2 a pound for this batch of honey. I know it's more per pound than the the place I was originally going to go to, but this is what I actually can use now. Not have it hanging around for who knows how long before I go through it all...

crowquill
12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Thinking that I might opt for doing the same thing...

I'll give a sample, or two, for feedback and still purchase the honey... What they charge me for the honey is up to them, but I'll still be paying them in dollars...

Yep, that's what we do. Our honey guy loves to get a bottle of mead when we come in and he always gives us a great price on the honey.

Golddiggie
12-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I will say that these guys are not getting off to a good start. For one thing, the honey was supposed to ship out yesterday, so that I would have it today... I checked with the UPS guy, and they didn't have anything else to deliver to me (I got my second water filter earlier)... I hope that they used FedEx for this, since I don't think they've come around yet... I did just check, and nothing else has been delivered yet... I was looking forward to using this honey in a brew I'm making tomorrow... Now I'll need to pick up the honey from the grocery store, or run out and hope that I can get something better (without getting over-charged) from Whole Foods... I really didn't want to go there, since it is further away. I told the guy that I was wanting this for a beer I'm brewing tomorrow. I've emailed him asking for tracking info, and to be sure it actually shipped out as promised. No reply yet (it's been a couple of hours too)... I won't have time to get there today, or even tomorrow since I have someone coming over to brew with me. If they used the USPS then it MIGHT arrive tomorrow, but you never really know with those guys if they will deliver on time or not...

Oh, and I've already activated my yeast (Wyeast punch pack) and have the starter mixed up (ready for the yeast to go into it)... So I've pretty much committed to doing this tomorrow...

Golddiggie
12-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Richard, from Black Cat Honey has NOT responded to any of my emails sent since I paid for the product (late Wednesday evening)... I'm getting really pissed off with them now. I've also left a voice message with the only working number I have for him (the number listed on their site rings a few times and then disconnects). I'll give them a little more time to either call, email, or send out the honey I ordered before I start having to deal with forcing a refund.

Basically, once I either get the honey I've paid for, or my funds back, I'm inclined to never do business with them again. At over 2 hours drive (each way) from me, it's not a trip I would make often. Hence wanting to get the honey shipped to me. I'm already talking with another apiary that's pretty close (under 45 minutes drive each way) where I'll probably pick up some honey very soon. Otherwise, I'm thinking of going to another source (closer to where I live) to get some. The only down side there, is they get about $7/pound for their honey... I would probably only get 5 pounds from them to start with. I could get almost a gallon from the other local source for that same price (a little more $ and I have the gallon)...

I would say that BCH is on the 'bad vendor' list for me... Once there, it takes a LOT to get off that list...