PDA

View Full Version : Can I carb this batch naturally?



fathand
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I made the following 5 gallon batch

Brewed 9/4/10

12 clover
Water to make 5 gallons of total must
K1V1116

Aerated and added Nutrient per the staggered approach

OG 1.048* on 9/04/10
SG 1.002 on 12/2/10 (has been 1.002 for a few weeks)

*I believe this is wrong due to all the honey not being blended at time I took the gravity reading.

I have this cold crashing right now as I am trying to get as much yeast to drop out as possible.

Now I'd love to add about 5 to 6 oz. of additional honey at bottling (12 oz beer bottles) so this carbs. If by adding this honey it doesn't carb and just sweetens it a little I am OK with that. What I don't want to happen is have bottles bombs on my hands.

So to those that are more experienced do I run the risk of creating bombs if I add 5 oz of honey at bottling? Or should I Sorbate and Sulfate this and bottle it still?

Medsen Fey
12-07-2010, 12:19 PM
It may be able to ferment further, but with 12 pounds of honey in 5 gallons I would have expected it to go dry with a final gravity less than 1.000. One thing you can do is test a bottle by adding a a few grams of sugar and capping it to see if it ferments, but if it does wake up and ferment, it may not stop at 1.002, and if it drops a few more points, you could have bottles explode.

To be safer, I would see if I could get this batch to go dry before attempting carbonation. Instead of cold crashing it, I'd warm it up and check the pH and perhaps add a few yeast hulls to see if I could get it to perk up again. If you get the gravity below 0.999, you should be able to carbonate safely.

Golddiggie
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
*I believe this is wrong due to all the honey not being blended at time I took the gravity reading.

If I'm not 100% sure the honey is fully dissolved, or in solution, when I make the must, I'm (now) letting it 'rest' overnight before testing and pitching in yeast... Of my first three batches, only one had the honey close to fully dissolved when I took my readings. The other two batches had hydrometer readings far different after a day, when I made the must...