PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding sima

Shahivann
12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I have never made sima (finnish lemon mead-ish) before, but want to try. I have found a recipe that seems nice, it's as follows:
4 litres of water
2 lemons (juice and zest)
2 oranges
3 dl brown sugar
500 gr honey
Ca 20 pieces of allspice
125 g of raisins
Ale yeast

However, I would like to use wild yeast instead (In the past I have made ginger ale using wild yeast made from apricots). My question is, how much wild yeast would be needed for the above recipe? When I made ginger ale I used 2,5 dl of liquid wild yeast to about three litres of water.

Medsen Fey
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Are you keeping the wild yeast going?

The same 250 cc should plenty of yeast.

And Welcome to Gotmead!

akueck
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Sima is super tasty!

I'm also interested in hearing about your yeast propagation techniques. Good luck with your batch.

Shahivann
12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
To make the yeast culture I mixed 2,5 dl of water, 50 grams of honey, 25 grams of sugar and 125 grams of apricots. I kept the mixture in room temperature, in a lidded jar. After a couples of days it started fermenting, and after about five ddays it was done. By then it smelled alcoholic, there were lots of bubbles rising, and there was foam on the surface of the liquid. Then I removed the apricots, and, voila, I had my liquid yeast.

I used the fruit to make another batch of yeast, by mixing the soggy remains of the fruit again with water, sugar and honey, the same amounts as the first time. This time around the fermentation sarted a lot quicker, and the yeast culture was finished in about two days. This time what remained of the apricots were too soggy to be used again.