PDA

View Full Version : Watter problem solved?

gron151
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
We have a lot fo iorn in our water so i recently had a new water softener put in and part of a promotion that was going on they put in a $1000 (or so he said, but what ever, we were in it for the softener) reverse osmosis system for free.
The water running to it is straight from the well, does not go to the softener.

Am i finaly gonna be able to use my well water for brewing?

icedmetal
12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, I suppose the answer depends; why couldn't you use it previously?

Chemistry
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
If you like the taste of the water then go for it. The reverse osmosis unit will leave trace amounts of impurities in the water.

Chevette Girl
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey Icedmetal, I'll bet you've never had wellwater with iron in it... we have that at my folks' cottage and it sneaks up on you, you get this flash of "BLOOD!" taste after swallowing. Very disconcerting till I realized it was the wellwater.

And water softeners need to do 10x the softening to get rid of iron if I recall correctly from when I was trying to sell the stupid things... but a RO should take care of the situation nicely, so good luck, gron151!

akueck
12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
You can get a unit that goes in line before the softener that reduces the iron content. Ion exchange membrane I think, I forget what it puts in there instead of iron. My parents have one for their well water, and a separate RO line too.

icedmetal
12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey Icedmetal, I'll bet you've never had wellwater with iron in it... we have that at my folks' cottage and it sneaks up on you, you get this flash of "BLOOD!" taste after swallowing. Very disconcerting till I realized it was the wellwater.

Yup, I've had well water, but I don't think it had a high iron content.

gron151
12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes with out the softener or RO system if i filled a 5 gallon pail with water you could see the yellowish/orange tint to it. bathtub would go from white to dark orange in 2 weeks.

AToE
12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I grew up on iron-rich well water, love the stuff for drinking (I couldn't even drink city water until I got used to it for ages, it smelled like eggs to me), but it makes terrible coffee and I can't see it being great for brewing/wine/mead.

gron151
12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Well i started this months two 1 gallon batches with water from the RO system so i guess we will see.