PDA

View Full Version : cider/ cyser opened it up an really harsh smell?

eyedea
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I just opened my 2 and four gallon buckets to put into a secondary and went to smell it and got a good whiff which burnt my nostrils... before i throw this out I just want to make sure this isnt normal

YogiBearMead726
12-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I just opened my 2 and four gallon buckets to put into a secondary and went to smell it and got a good whiff which burnt my nostrils... before i throw this out I just want to make sure this isnt normal

It is actually common for cyser to be very unpalatable at this stage. Something about fermenting apple juice makes for some really intense fusel aromas. If you post your brewlog, along with how old and what the estimated ABV is, I'm sure a mentor could diagnose a more serious problem. But it sounds like a typical cyser to me. Let this age and clear for at least 6 months or more, and you'll be treated to a drastically different aroma. :)

Don't chuck it out just yet!

AToE
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Never chuck anything before a year, unless you've got enough experience to be utterly sure that it's toast.

icedmetal
12-17-2010, 08:00 PM
One thing not mentioned yet... I've burnt my nostrils on trying to get a whiff of a batch multiple times, and every time, it's been the CO2. You shouldn't inhale the stuff, I hear it's low in oxygen or something ;)

phreebyrd
12-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Never chuck anything before a year, unless you've got enough experience to be utterly sure that it's toast.

how do u know its toast

YogiBearMead726
12-19-2010, 03:46 AM
how do u know its toast

You can't drink it/you've made enough to know when a batch will turn out bad.

AToE
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
how do u know its toast

That's my point exactly, you don't! Eventually one builds up enough knowledge to have an idea of what can be fixed/aged out and what cannot, but I'm personally nowhere near that point myself and don't expect to be any time soon.

phreebyrd
12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
That's my point exactly, you don't! Eventually one builds up enough knowledge to have an idea of what can be fixed/aged out and what cannot, but I'm personally nowhere near that point myself and don't expect to be any time soon.

so what your saying is the force is not strong with this one! one day i will be a jedi