PDA

View Full Version : Which yeast is best for a melomel

socrates6
12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok, first time posting and to make mead. I have made 4 batches of beer and one Apfelwein.

So, basically I am unsure of which yeast to use. Since I can't figure that out I am waiting to start my batch.

My recipe is for a 3 gallon batch:
12 lbs. Clover Honey (since the brochet or burnt mead is what got me initially interested I plan on trying to do 6 lbs. caramelized. I know that clover is not the best but the only local is wildflower and my wife doesn't like wildflower at all)
8 lbs. of frozen strawberries sliced.
a half handful or about 3 oz. of raisins.
3/4 tsp. Pectin
3/4 tsp. yeast energizer/nutrient (I am debating on whether or not to dish out the time and money for fermaid-k as Osskar has suggested in multiple threads.

I think maybe D-47 would be good. I am looking to make a semi or sweet mead. My Apfelwein is good, but very dry. I used montrachet on it and I think I am going to prefer something a little sweeter. I know that my wife will. lol

Well anyways. I hope that someone can help me out with this cause I am kind of stuck.

Thanks,

Soc

chiguire
12-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Follow the link below and it will hopefully help you.
Yeast Table (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=42)

mmclean
12-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi socrates6,

Welcome to GotMead?

First I'd recommend using the search tool to search for brochet. I think there are a few treads and even a few brewlogs.

Good luck with this one and please keep us posted. The brochet may be the least documented mead of the mead renaissance. Also on my list of to do meads.

socrates6
12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Follow the link below and it will hopefully help you.
Yeast Table (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=42)

Thank you, I have looked at that table. I have done my research as best I could with this and another forum. I am looking for advice and personal experience. I have found with brewing beer that it is best to request some guidance from other with more experience as everyones results may vary.

As far as the table goes. The two that I have been thinking about are the EC-1118 and the D-47. According to JamesP's Calculator I am going to have an OG 1.157 and a 19.68% ABV so to that end of the two I am wondering if I use the D-47 with a 15% tolerance will that leave me with a way too sweet mead. As for the EC-1118 with an 18% it may not be sweet enough. This is where I am stuck, I want it to be fairly sweet.

Thanks,
Soc

mmclean
12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Of those two choices I would go with the EC-1118. Let it take it to dry and then backsweeten if needed.

akueck
12-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I would second the idea of backsweetening. Mix up a must that gets you to 12-14%, stabilize and backsweeten to taste. Trying to out-sugar the yeast usually ends up with a mead that has more alcohol and less sugar than you wanted.

D-47 would be fine. 71B is a good choice too.

socrates6
12-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi socrates6,

Welcome to GotMead?

First I'd recommend using the search tool to search for brochet. I think there are a few treads and even a few brewlogs.

Good luck with this one and please keep us posted. The brochet may be the least documented mead of the mead renaissance. Also on my list of to do meads.

Thank you very much. I have been following the forum for a few months now to figure out the process and the magic that is mead.

Yes I have read through the brewlogs and the threads for the brochet. That is part of the reasoning behind the half and half. It seems to be a trend to over carmelize the honey. I figured if I try with half and get a slightly roasted marshmellow flavor it should off-set the strawberry very nicely. I watched the youtube video, and read the orginal reciped from Le Menagier de Paris as well, though it is not very informative it has helped me along the way with this recipe.

One of the more frustrating things about brewing mead is the time involved in the aging process. Many have not finished there brewlogs and some have aged for up to 5 years and not yet posted on the quality of the brew.

Soc

mmclean
12-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Somewhere there is a thread with pictures of samples for different times to carmelize the honey. Up to, like 2 hours.

Slow and don't stop stirring was the way they did it. Not so much burnt, more carmelized.

phreebyrd
12-19-2010, 12:54 AM
WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!!! your gonna get so addicted its not even funny!! good luck with the brochet i made a gallon batch and it workede out really good. it foams up alot i did it with about 3 pounds of honey in a big wok and im glad i didit that way!!i also used lalvin 1118. theres a few videos too i think it was u tube and some other knock off. i just surfed an got lucky. welcome and good luck

jayich
12-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I think you might want to up the strawberrys to say at least 12 to maybe 16 lbs for a more intense strawberry nose, which I think you will enjoy! I used 24 lbs. in my last 6 gallon batch of strawberry mel. If you do this, cut back on water to maintain your desired SG.

socrates6
12-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I know that I am going to love this. The whole history and story behind mead have me hooked. I don't think I will abandon my beer brewing but this certainly seems more complex.

I think I am going to go with the EC-1118. Back-sweetening seems the best option.

I did see the chart that machinelf and his wife posted on another forum. It seems to me that they over did the caramelization. I intend to do a 30 or 45 min boil. We will see. As for the 12 lbs. of strawberries, is that for a 3 gallon batch? Or is that for a 5 gallon?

Medsen Fey
12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
You'll have much more luck finding info if you use the term BOCHET rather than brochet when you search as it is the more commonly accepted spelling.

Personally I wouldn't use EC-1118 for a strawberry melomel with or without caramelized honey. I'd be more inclined to use a yeast that will be more gentle with the strawberry aromatics, especially if you are using only 8 pounds. D47, 71B, K1V, Cote des Blancs would all be yeast I would consider before EC-1118. I would definitely keep the ABV lower, but that is a personal preference. You might want to look at Yo's strawberry pizazz recipe for other ideas.

mmclean
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, totally missed the part about the strawberries. Sorry about that socrates6. Thought we were talking about a straight "bochet".

I will most definitely defer to Medsen.

"Endeavor to persevere!" ;D

socrates6
12-19-2010, 12:21 PM
You'll have much more luck finding info if you use the term BOCHET rather than brochet when you search as it is the more commonly accepted spelling.

Personally I wouldn't use EC-1118 for a strawberry melomel with or without caramelized honey. I'd be more inclined to use a yeast that will be more gentle with the strawberry aromatics, especially if you are using only 8 pounds. D47, 71B, K1V, Cote des Blancs would all be yeast I would consider before EC-1118. I would definitely keep the ABV lower, but that is a personal preference. You might want to look at Yo's strawberry pizazz recipe for other ideas.

Thank you Medsen Fey. I am not as concerned with ABV as I am with taste. If its low in alcohol and taste great that is fine with me. I was thinking of increasing the strawberries as mentioned earlier. Maybe 12 or 15 pounds. I really want to be "very berry" :P

Thanks,
Soc

BrewinNColorado
12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
socrates6 - I would consider using 71B-1122. This was the first year that I have used it, but according to my research, it is supposed to soften some of the acidity. Strawberries are between 5 - 7% sugars and 1.60% acidity. In comparison, grapefruits are about 2%, lemons about 5% while cherries are .50% acidity.

In my opinion, softening some of the acidity will help bring our more of the strawberry taste and not make it seems so biting on the tongue and back of the throat.

If you are looking to make it "very berry" without making it a strawberry wine, then make sure you save some strawberries for after it has cleared and you have racked it.

I would love to see your tasting notes on this, so please make sure you keep us up to date.

Michael