PDA

View Full Version : Brew Masters

phreebyrd
12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
so i was watching Brew Masters an they made a beer with dutch gold orange blossom honey (several 60 pound buckets 6 or so) , sake rice,hawthorne fruit,hops, muscat grape juice, and yeast! they put it in a whirl pull then in a fermenter! could this be a melomel, braggot, mead or wine??????

akueck
12-19-2010, 03:14 AM
I assume it was Dogfish's Jiahu. If so, it's based on pottery shards and has come up on the forum here before. Wayne even did his own version. This "recipe" predates distinctions between wine, beer, and mead. I would consider it a "whatever we can find" fermentable.

phreebyrd
12-19-2010, 03:19 AM
it was the jiahu.... that is goooddd!!! so basiclly its too old to call.. thanks

Medsen Fey
12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Wayneb has done a version of "Jiahu" mead in the Patron's brewlogs. It is very interesting reading, and well worth the price. :)

wayneb
12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
And FWIW, I have the last full bottle of my Wolf Moon set for a comparison tasting with the latest Dogfish Head Ch. Jiahu, which we'll do at my place sometime between Christmas and New Year's day. Exact date is still to be determined, but if anyone is in the area over the holidays and wants a taste, then PM me. This may be your only chance to taste two different takes on a 9 millennium old recipe! ;D

Yo momma
12-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Why cant you live in or around Michigan! HUH!

kudapucat
12-24-2010, 03:16 AM
And FWIW, I have the last full bottle of my Wolf Moon set for a comparison tasting with the latest Dogfish Head Ch. Jiahu, which we'll do at my place sometime between Christmas and New Year's day. Exact date is still to be determined, but if anyone is in the area over the holidays and wants a taste, then PM me. This may be your only chance to taste two different takes on a 9 millennium old recipe! ;D

KudaPucat is weighing the chance in a lifetime against the $2000 air fare. Make that $4000 as DW would insist on coming.
Hmmmmmmmmmm descisions descisions.
It truly is a 'once in a lifetime' chance Wayne?

wayneb
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, the best laid plans... will have to be postponed for a bit. My lovely wife is ill with a kidney infection that is requiring obscenely high doses of antibiotic to be eradicated. She's not feeling very well as a result, so we're not going to do this until she feels up to participating. I figure that sometime in the week or so past the New Year will work out - and I'll keep you posted!

And as far as a once in lifetime chance - well, it is until I make up another batch of Wolf Moon! ;) It is such an involved process, however, that I probably won't be doing it anytime soon.

dave_witt
12-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Well, the best laid plans... will have to be postponed for a bit. My lovely wife is ill with a kidney infection that is requiring obscenely high doses of antibiotic to be eradicated. She's not feeling very well as a result, so we're not going to do this until she feels up to participating.

Hope she's feeling better. :-/