PDA

View Full Version : Sparkling Mead Question

PDonn63
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Yesterday, I bottled 6 gallons of mead that I started in early August. I have never made a sparkling mead, so I decided to make half of it sparkle. I racked half of the carboy to my bottling bucket (it had been racked two times before; once after week 3, and again after a month) and added 1/4 cup of organic honey dissolved in hot water. I stirred until it was consistent and bottled to champaign bottles.

What concerns me, is that I read that it has to be kept cool, so put it in the fridge. After double checking, I realized that the fridge was too cold, so I pulled it out after it had been in there for about five hours, and it has been sitting in the basement ever since. My question is, will the short time it spent in the fridge have halted the fermentation required to make it sparkle? Also, is there a way that I can tell if the process is working, aside from popping a cork? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Medsen Fey
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Also, is there a way that I can tell if the process is working, aside from popping a cork? Any help is greatly appreciated!

The cold will not have harmed the yeast. Which yeast was it by the way? and what was the initial and final gravity (before priming)?

If your yeast has plenty of room, you should have not trouble with it carbonating so give it some time. One way to avoid having to check bottles is to bottle one PET soda bottle with a cap. When it carbonates, the bottle will become hard and you'll know it it pressurized so you'll know the ones in glass are as well.

PDonn63
12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the help! The yeast I used was Lalvin RC212, the starting gravity was 1.105, and the gravity right before priming was 1.002.