PDA

View Full Version : Stalled fermentation in 5 gallon batch of JAOM

Lois
12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello all,

I've been brewing 1 gallon batches of JAOM without any problem, when my dad and I decided to up the ante and brew tons of it (5 gallon carboy). I scaled up the recipe x5 and pitched the yeast about 12 hours ago.

When I woke up this morning, nothing. No yeast activity. I did some troubleshooting and realized the carboy was too cold, have moved it and wrapped in a warm towel and am starting to see a little activity in the airlock.

My question is - did the 12 hours of lag time allow bacterial contamination? I read so much about bacteria infesting mead, but have no idea what an it would look like. I sterilized everything reasonably well....

Many thanks for your help!

akueck
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Unless you dipped some bacteria in there on purpose, you're probably fine. Lag times of up to 2 days are not common, but also not problematic. 12 hours is well within the norm.

Lois
12-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice! We might need to head a heating pad for the carboy...cold midwestern winters

fatbloke
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! We might need to head a heating pad for the carboy...cold midwestern winters
Cold midwestern winters ? showing location as London ?

Whats that ? Out towards Hounslow ? ;);D

See if you can get a heater pad or belt that's adjustable. The one (a belt) I have is fixed at 24C, but if I could, I'd rather get one that can be set to like 20C as I don't mind if a ferment is a bit slow, but it's nice if it's as "clean" as possible.

regards

fatbloke

Chemistry
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Cold midwestern winters ? showing location as London ?

Whats that ? Out towards Hounslow ? ;);D

See if you can get a heater pad or belt that's adjustable. The one (a belt) I have is fixed at 24C, but if I could, I'd rather get one that can be set to like 20C as I don't mind if a ferment is a bit slow, but it's nice if it's as "clean" as possible.

regards

fatbloke

You should look into a temperature rheostat. It will adjust the current through the heating device depending on the temperature you set and is used on non-thermostatically controlled devices.