PDA

View Full Version : Undissolved honey

kudapucat
01-01-2011, 07:30 AM
OK. :(
I made a batch, measured the SG, only to find it was a bit lower than I had calculated.
So I added some honey.
Now it's sitting on the bottom of a 23 litre /6 gal carboy.
How do I make it dissolve? It weighs a ton! Well 25kg actually ;) but it's awkward.
I've capped it, turned it upside down, rolled it across the kitchen floor, everything I can think of, and yet I can;t make it dissolve.
Any ideas?

mmclean
01-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey kudapucat,

If you can't stir it up with a lees stirrer or a long spoon, just let it be. The yeast will eat it off the bottom in a short time.

Some people make there meads like this all the time. I made my spiced cyser by bottom feeding the yeast.

Hope this was insightful and helpful, mate.

G-day

:)

kudapucat
01-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Cheers MMClean
I was worried. But I guess it doesn't matter. Only the OG reading will be skewed... and I can probably figure that from the FG, as I've used this yeast before, just not on this scale. (my first carboy batch)

Thanks for you help and quick response. G'Night ;)

OK so I'll just pitch the yeast and watch 'em go to work. it'll be the third batch pitched today, as I got to see my apiarist this morning. Unfortunately unlike Dad's honey, I had to pay for it, but she gave me a discount.

It's River Redgum variety, which is also highly dependant on location for flavour, so I hope I don't love it too much, as the exact same honey will be hard to come by.

Anyhow it's to be a dry batch that I will probably rack onto fruit and spices in smaller 1 gal demis to make some melomels and metheglins.
I hope it works out, as it's the greatest investment into mead that I have made so far (disregarding the hardware)

mmclean
01-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Make sure to keep it stirred up on the bottom best as you can and just guess at the one third and one half sugar breaks.

Oh yea, my bad.

G'Night downunder, mate. :)

fatbloke
01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I was also gonna say about using a long handled plastic brewing spoon, but just sanitise the handle and use that. It will take time, but will work.

Or of course, if you know the exact weights of honey and volumes of water, you should be able to use the mead calculator to work out roughly what the SG is when it was started so you know where you're at for fermentation management etc.......

Apart from that, if you searched for honey at the bottom, somebody did have a thread about what to call batches made like that, how they got on etc etc. So all the commentary about whether there's a problem is spot on, the yeast will ferment it without much difficulty...

regards

fatbloke

p.s. as long as you have a good stopper for the carboy/DJ, you can just get a cheap "kiddies garden crash mat", put it on the floor and roll it on that.....