View Full Version : How to make sima sweeter?

01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
I have made a batch of sima (my first ever), which wasn't as sweet as I had hoped. At first I used about 300 grams of honey and 200 grams of brown sugar, to 4 litres of water and 25 grams of ordinary bread yeast. After the sima had fermented in a jar for 48 hours, as per the recipe, I tasted it and found it less sweet than I wanted it, so I added about 200 grams more honey, bottled the sima and let it ferment for a day more in the bottles, as per the recipe.
What can I do to make the sima sweeter? I suspect that the additional honey I added before the bottling mainly fed the yeast, since there was a virtual volcano of gas and bubbles when I opened the bottles. Should I simply use less yeast, so that (presumably) more of the honey and sugar I add will remain in the finished sima? And, since the fermentation process is not allowed to go on until all the sugar is consumed by the yeast I feel it should be possible to make the brew sweeter by adding proportionally more honey/sugar in the beginning. Am I correct?

01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Yep, you've got the idea. More sugar means more sweet. You can also use less yeast, 25 g in 4 L is a lot of yeast. Could be fine with 1-5 g instead, and that will make the sugar conversion slower.

If you're worried about overcarbonating, you could make the sima per instructions and pour into a glass with some simple syrup.

01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks! Next batch will have more sugar and less yeast.