PDA

View Full Version : Be careful, a Fermenting Mead may stain your Throne...

Brego Brew
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm currently making my very first batch of Traditional mead, just honey water and wine yeast, and so far I believe that it is coming along nicely.
Well, three days ago, I racked my mead from the primary to the secondary fermentor and during the racking process I decided that, though cloudy, it looked just good enough to have a glass.:) Very Strong, whoa!, but, surprisingly smooth. I could only take about half the glass because of the strong alcohol flavor, but all in all it wasn't really that bad. Until later that night... I'm not sure how to describe my experience. I wasn't sick, in fact the alcohol had me feeling pretty mellow and overall perky. Then, roughly 2 hours later, I heard natures calling. Then I *felt* natures calling. I do not wish to delve into explicit detail, for the ease of queasy stomach's everywhere, but the experience is the rear end equivalent of what we know as 'Projectile Vomiting'. The bowl stain still won't be removed.
Had no more rough seas after the fact and all was good. Though I wondered for the next two days what on earth could have caused all that?

This morning I siphoned off a little bit more of the mead to see if the flavor is mellowing out as the mead clears. There is still a slight bit of fermentation happening, but the clearing process is progressing much faster (whippee!) than I thought it would. Once again, a few sips turned into half the glass and just 30 minutes ago, all hell broke loose! And you know what? It Smells Like FUSEL's!!!! :eek:
Now I'm having severe abdominal cramps, have had to leave the typing of this message twice to take care of 'Mead-ingful' business. :pottytrain5:

So if you wish to try your young mead to get an idea of what you're going to end up with, by all means go for it! Just remember, as with all great things in life, Moderation is one of those great things!

Still "Brewing",
Jonas

Chevette Girl
01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
It sounds like there's something there that your system doesn't like and wants out NOW... have you ever had this reaction from anything else before?

It is possible to react to yeast, it may be that your body won't accept a high amount of active yeast all at once but you're OK if they've finished the job and mostly settled out, as in a typical wine or mead.

Or maybe you're sensitive to any fusels produced and it needs to age out before your system will let it stay for any length of time.

icedmetal
01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
I've heard of experiences like this before, and so have never ventured more than a sip off the hydrometer vial. As for staining your toilet, err, uhh, wow. Bleach? ;D

mccann51
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds like an active yeast issue; many people can be very sensitive to those little guys (I have a number of friends who are). Luckily, I'm not one of them; I loves me my B-vitamins and protein :)

Have you had homebrews before? Did it cause an issue then as well?

Medsen Fey
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Drinking actively fermenting wines and meads can be a very effective laxative.

After they finish and clear, usually it isn't a problem. For some people, sweet meads with lots of residual sugar can still create issues as the intestinal bacteria (that are normal) can metabolize them creating gas, bloating and diarrhea.

Braxton
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Some people are actually allergic to yeast. I'm not sure if there is a way to test for that, but you might want to keep it in mind. I had a friend that was pretty allergic to brewer's yeast and she pretty much stuck to hard liquor as a result.

AToE
01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, it's pretty rare but I know one person who is allergic to yeast as well. For years they thought they were a celiac because avoiding products with gluten did solve a lot of the problems (sometimes...), eventually they figured it out.

Chevette Girl
01-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, drinking a lot of an actively fermenting must or sweet fermented wine/mead can trigger candida/candidasis flare-ups in susceptible folks too... and a gluten-free diet (actually even more restrictive than that, it's awful) is suggested in that case. A yeast allergy can be tested for but you have to see a food allergist, at least around here, it's separate from the environmental (animals/pollens/mold) allergy testing... I only know this because I had my hazelnut allergy confirmed recently... (fortunately I'm NOT allergic to wheat or yeast, yay!)