PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the honey out of the bucket?

schlapppy
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Out of curiosity.. have you found an effeciant way of getting the honey out of the bulkets? I always end up making a sticky albiet delicious mess.

I've tried

ladeling (takes to long)
using a small pot to ladel
Pouring the honey out of the bucket..

Chevette Girl
01-14-2011, 10:59 AM
When I've had honey in a bucket, I've opted for ladelling, but I have a stainless steel ladel that fills a soup bowl with one scoop so it didn't take that much time for me, plus I tend to work in 1-3 gal batches :)

When I get a large bucket of honey next honey run, my plan is to decant most of it into my usual jars for ease of use later, 1 kg jars and mostly-full 2 kg jars which I've pre-marked for how much honey I need for a batch fo JAO so I'll be using the smaller ladel because the jar mouths are too small and I don't think the mouth of my jelly funnel is much bigger. Either that or my hubby and I will come up with some form of tipping mechanism so I can pour it.

icedmetal
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
A painter showed me how to pour paint from a 5 gallon bucket with a bung, and the same (sorta) applies to large buckets of honey. Pour with the spout at the top of the bucket once tilted, not at the bottom. Totally counter-intuitive, totally works 10x better. You'll still get some honey on the top of the bucket, but not as much as previously ran down the side onto everything.

The ladle sounds like it might be a good idea too...

schlapppy
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
A painter showed me how to pour paint from a 5 gallon bucket with a bung, and the same (sorta) applies to large buckets of honey. Pour with the spout at the top of the bucket once tilted, not at the bottom. Totally counter-intuitive, totally works 10x better. You'll still get some honey on the top of the bucket, but not as much as previously ran down the side onto everything.

The ladle sounds like it might be a good idea too...

I've never gotten a bucket with a built in spout. Is this common?

skunkboy
01-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Or if you buy 5 gallon buckets you occasionally get lids with pop up spouts, I save those and put them onto new buckets. They you slower, but less messy pours...

mmclean
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Buy a 5 gallon fermenter or a honey bucket with a spout at the bottom. Then just transfer the honey to the spouted bucket. Now you can fill jars or just let it pour into your fermenter and measure S. G.

Like this one. (https://millerbeesupply.com/honey-removal-processing-storage/bottling-bucket/prod_84.html)

icedmetal
01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I've never gotten a bucket with a built in spout. Is this common?

Hmm sorry, I said spout, but I meant bung. Just a removable plastic bung that leaves a ~1.5" diameter hole in the lid of the bucket.

I also wish those big ole buckets came with a spout!

Pouring the honey into a container with a spigot is a great idea. You'll have to wait forever, but in many cases it's probably worth the wait to save the mess. Now if you've got a bucket with a built-in honey gate... :)

Chevette Girl
01-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Buy a 5 gallon fermenter or a honey bucket with a spout at the bottom. Then just transfer the honey to the spouted bucket. Now you can fill jars or just let it pour into your fermenter and measure S. G.

Like this one. (https://millerbeesupply.com/honey-removal-processing-storage/bottling-bucket/prod_84.html)

I was happy to see this type when I checked the link, the spigot that came on the fermenter I have would've taken hours and hours to get honey out if the similar spigot at my usual bulk food place is any indication.

The valve in the link is exactly what my apiary uses for their bulk tank and it pours very quickly, only problem is it might not be leak-proof, they always have a cup sitting under theirs.

mmclean
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
There should only be a small amount of draining after closing the gate. Honey doesn't stop all at once, as we all know. Still better than all down the side. :p

MrMooCow
01-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Try taping a cat to the outside of the bucket. Any honey that runs down the side will get trapped in the cat's fur. The little beasts are self cleaning, so this will save time and energy on your part. ;D

icedmetal
01-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I was happy to see this type when I checked the link

Yup, that there is what's known as a honey gate.

akueck
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
My LHBS has those installed on their drums of malt extract and bulk honey containers. Very handy.

schlapppy
01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Honey gate.. That seems to be a great answer.

If I could really trust the lid... I could build one into the lid.. so transfering honey to a bucket that has it built in would not be necessary. Here's a stand alone honeygate (http://www.bee-outside.com/honeygate1-12inch.aspx).

Thoughts?

Dan McFeeley
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I found a quart size measuring cup which works for the big sized honey buckets. I'm not overly concerned with precise measurements of honey added to water to hit a target gravity because of the variability in honey.

I'll make some rough ball park calculations, dip and pour until I'm close to the target gravity, take a gravity reading and then make adjustments.

--