• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

diacetyl in mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Anyone smelled/tasted diacetyl in mead before? Is DMS the only precursor for diacetyl, or maybe citric acid as well? Does DMS exist in fruit, like blackberries?

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50603

Wondering because a blackberry mead at a recent club meeting had a diacetyl offtaste detected by a couple of other club members, I am begining to think that I can't detect this stuff very well...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Unless I have been misled, diacetyl and DMS are unrelated. DMS is created by heat from SMM precursors in malt. Boiling will drive it off, and a 60-90 minute open rolling boil should be enough for most grists. Diacetyl is a natural by-product of yeast fermentation as it is one of the possible intermediate products on the way from sugar to ethanol. Yeast will usually clean it up after the sugar source is depleted.

Causes for excess diacetyl in beer include moving the beer off the yeast too soon and poor yeast health. The same could cause it in mead, though I haven't experienced it there myself. I have had acetlyaldehyde in mead for a few days during fermentation, but it also cleared up on its own.

DMS tastes like cooked corn, diacetyl like movie theater butter.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Diacetyl also get produced by lactic acid bacteria (malolactic fermentation). In winemaking this can be very desirable such as in those nice buttery, barrel-aged chardonnay wines. They produce even more if sugar is available (but also produce VA in that case).

So it is possible that if you used fruit, you had some MLF occur causing more diacetyl.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns