• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What should I do with this?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Filly

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2010
Okay, here is my recipe:

Taken straight from Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker

15 lbs Orange blossom honey
4 gallons of water
2 tsp yeast energizer
2 tsp yeast nutrient
D-47 yeast
OG: 1.092
Fermentation temp: Right about 65 degrees f, consistently.

I pitched on 9/19/2010. I finally racked into secondary on 01/07/2011 after getting consistent hydrometer readings several days in a row. The FG is only 1.026, way higher than I (or the recipe) expected. It's a bit too sweet for me, and even though my wife likes it that way, I can't be satisfied with a product that didn't turn out I intended. Should I pitch another yeast to try to get that FG down, or... what? I'd like to get it to the goal of 1.010.

I did two other batches that turned out pretty much perfectly. I don't know what happened with this one.

Kun2112

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2010
Celina, OH
You have more experience at mead-making than I, but I just discovered this link last week http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/StuckFerm.pdf
I printed off a copy and added to my brew journal.
I'm not sure how effective it is, but I have seen these instructions referenced a few times---that is if your fermentation is stuck--it may not be, I will let those wiser than me pipe in now...

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
You could just dilute it with some distilled water, but I'm not going to try and do the math as to what it might take to drop it down to 1.014 or so...been bottling...and sampling... ;-)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
What were the successful batches? Also traditional meads or were they something with fruit, etc?

Can you check the pH of the mead?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It's a bit too sweet for me, and even though my wife likes it that way, I can't be satisfied with a product that didn't turn out I intended. ...I'd like to get it to the goal of 1.010.

LOL!
Yeast rarely cooperate. They have a mind of their own.

As a new meadcrafter (I'm stealing that term, but hey, I like it) you'll discover that it is hard to have mead turn out exactly as planned and sometimes you just have to let it be what it will be. In your case, with a starting gravity of 1.092, the yeast shouldn't really stop at 1.010 but should take it fully dry. I wouldn't bottle it at 1.010 without stabilizing it or you may get an unpleasant surprise.

Did you aerate this batch after pitching the yeast? If not, that could account for the problem.

The pH is a likely culprit here. If you can check it and find it is below about 3.2, you may want to adjust it up to about 3.5 and that may get them going.

If you don't have any way to check the pH, if your yeast energizer looks like a tan colored powder, you can add another tsp or two. That will usually raise the pH up a bit as well as giving a bit more nutrient for the yeast and that may help them go on to dryness. If you have some potassium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate, adding a tsp may get things moving.

If none of those works, then pitching another yeast may be called for.

Endeavor to persevere!

Medsen

Filly

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. The temp is and has been right at about 65f. That's the temp of my basement anyway, and usually everything I brew takes on that temp. I haven't tested the pH yet but I do have some test strips somewhere...

The other two batches are also traditional meads. One is dry clover mead, and the other is a sweet mead made with thistle honey.

I'll have to take a pH reading sometime soon and let you know what it comes out to. I've been doing some work in my basement though and now I need to clear a path to my brew shop before I can do anything else.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns