• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oxidation-What does it taste like?

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildbill001

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2010
As I am researching mead-making (and homebrewing in general) I see lots and lots of "beware of oxidation". The whole time I'm asking myself, "How do I know if I am suffering from oxidation?" What does an oxidized mead taste like ?

TIA

Bill

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It may start with just loss (or flattening of aroma). You'll say to yourself, "this batch doesn't have the nice aroma it used to have."

Then you may get more acetaldhyde which may smell of green apples.
Then you may get nutty aromas and the smell of Sherry/Madeira wine.

If it is worse, you get wet cardboard odors, or you get increased VA which will give nail polish odor as acetic acid bacteria grow with the oxygen.

You won't miss it if you have it happen.

mfalenski

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Don't worry too much over it. I've had numerous batches in carboys that were not filled the whole way, and they are fine. What you do want to watch is splashing while racking. Try to keep that to a minimum and you should be fine.

A little bit can be good, but too much can make it taste papery-cardboardy.

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
Then you may get more acetaldhyde which may smell of green apples.
Then you may get nutty aromas and the smell of Sherry/Madeira wine.

I've noticed many meads I've had (including a couple commercial) have a very appley taste, very reminiscent of cider; is this oxidation?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Not necessarily, one of the common aromas in wine and mead is apples and it may be quite desirable and it can come from other compounds. If it is acetaldehyde is will fade with time as the aldehyde reacts with other chemical groups, or it will be bound by SO2 and removed.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns