PDA

View Full Version : south florida supplies and honey

lurch77
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
This is such a great website. I have learned so much from the experts. I came from a beer brewing background, but enjoy the mead making (and tasting) process even more. I have made plenty of one gallon batches up to now, but would now like to expand production. However, my internet searches have not yielded any good sources of either supplies or honey in south florida (i am in fort lauderdale). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a local source of raw honey (looking to buy in quantities of 1 - 5 gallons). I was also wondering if anyone knew of a local distributor of cheap used cornelius kegs. Many thanks for any input.

Medsen Fey
01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Lurch,
I'm afraid there aren't a lot of options here in Broward County. You either have to drive to into Dade or Palm Beach. My answer is to use mail order - Midwest supply, MoreWine, and a couple of other online retailers can supply everything needed in terms of supplies except patience.

Honey is also rare around here. Bob's New River groves has some from their orchards (but it wasn't possible to get it in bulk last time I tried and they weren't all that nice), and there is Buchannan honey in Lauderhill - I haven't tried them but their number is 954-260-9243.

There is plenty of good honey in Loxahatcee (up by Lion country safari), and you can order great honey, from Walker farms near Tampa, or Gruwells up around Fort Pierce, or Curtis Honey in LaBelle. There's lots of great honey in Florida, it just ain't in Ft. Lauderdale.

And Welcome to GotMead!

lurch77
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info Medsen. I drive north quite a bit so I think i will try to coordinate with Gruwells or Curtis for some bulk honey next trip i make. Thanks again.

Bob1016
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
I know this thread is a little old, but I'm moving back to ft. Lauderdal region and I'm wondering if honey supplies have improved?
On the way south there is a place called webbs where I've been gettin most of my honey and I was wondering if I need to stop there before I move to get one last gallon of palm.
35$ for 12lbs is what I'm used too, will I have to adjust my expectations?
If anyone wants some in the broward region I'll be happy to get more.