PDA

View Full Version : Fermaid overdose

chosen_joker
01-23-2011, 01:03 AM
I just made my first batch of mead!

I may have used too much fermaid. I adapted a 5 gallon recipe to 1 gallon but didn't reduce the amount of fermaid for some reason. The recipe called for 5 grams and thats what i used.

3 lbs orange blossom honey
13 pints water
5 grams fermaid
OG:1.112

How much is too much? Will there be off flavors from this much fermaid or will it be ok? I found a few posts where people have used too much yeast nutrients, but none seemed to follow up afterwards and report their findings.

Any help or feedback will be appreciated.

chiguire
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
I just made my first batch of mead!

I may have used too much fermaid. I adapted a 5 gallon recipe to 1 gallon but didn't reduce the amount of fermaid for some reason. The recipe called for 5 grams and thats what i used.

3 lbs orange blossom honey
13 pints water
5 grams fermaid
OG:1.112

How much is too much? Will there be off flavors from this much fermaid or will it be ok? I found a few posts where people have used too much yeast nutrients, but none seemed to follow up afterwards and report their findings.

Any help or feedback will be appreciated.

Welcome to Got Mead!

My calculations say that 5 grams in a 1 gallon batch provides ~130 ppm of YAN. That is the minimum that you want in a must. Others provide 225-350 depending on their yeast and must gravity. So I think you are good.

However, someone with more experience may come in and correct me and tell me where I went wrong. I am still learning this whole nutrient thing.

akueck
01-23-2011, 03:14 AM
Yeah you should be fine, in fact you might need to add more. Usually folks will use both DAP and FermaidK to boost the nitrogen without adding too much of all the extra stuff that is in Fermaid. 1 g/gal is the limit for commercial meaderies for some silly reasons.

chosen_joker
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info that makes me feel a lot better. i'll just keep an eye on it. I was mostly worried about the possibility of off flavors.

***I used 13 cups not 13 pints of water.

Go Packers Go!

YogiBearMead726
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Go Packers Go!

Heck yes!!! ;D