PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn-ed barley

YogiBearMead726
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm sitting next to my toaster oven watching the 7oz of Marris Otter that I stuck in at 350F. It's basically popping like popcorn. I soaked the grain in cold water for about 45 minutes before adding them to the preheated toaster oven.

Is this typical? I mean, it's really cool, I'm just wondering if anyone who makes their own roasted barley has noticed a similar phenomenon. Plus, thus house smells amazing. :)

akueck
01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Check out "torrefied" grains. Essentially popped or "puffed". I've never used them but they sound fun.

Medsen Fey
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
That's a very interesting topic. I'm still not sure what the advantage is though, but apparently head retention is favored.

YogiBearMead726
01-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Ah ha! I'd heard of torrified grain, but I guess I didnt have a clear picture of what that would look like. Thanks for the info. :)

I have ~2 lbs of different "house toast" Marris Otter that I'm taking back in for milling. I plan on steeping the grains in the boil for my latest SMaSH beer...a British Extra Plus Special Bitter, using Marris Otter and Fuggle hops.

It's probably going to be around 1.065-1.070, hence "plus" in my style listing...it's a tad higher than the BJCP style max of 1.060. Or does this not really matter? I haven't entered any competitions yet, but it would be good to know just how strict to the style guidelines an entry should be in order to do well.

jayich
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Ah ha! I'd heard of torrified grain, but I guess I didnt have a clear picture of what that would look like. Thanks for the info. :)

I have ~2 lbs of different "house toast" Marris Otter that I'm taking back in for milling. I plan on steeping the grains in the boil for my latest SMaSH beer...a British Extra Plus Special Bitter, using Marris Otter and Fuggle hops.

It's probably going to be around 1.065-1.070, hence "plus" in my style listing...it's a tad higher than the BJCP style max of 1.060. Or does this not really matter? I haven't entered any competitions yet, but it would be good to know just how strict to the style guidelines an entry should be in order to do well.

Don't worry. The judges are blind to this information and a beer is judged on how it tastes. I have had many winning beers that were outside of BJCP parameters and, indeed, I have entered the same beer in several categories and have won two or medals.

YogiBearMead726
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Don't worry. The judges are blind to this information and a beer is judged on how it tastes. I have had many winning beers that were outside of BJCP parameters and, indeed, I have entered the same beer in several categories and have won two or medals.

Good to know, thanks! :)

akueck
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Depending on your FG you might be able to tell it is a higher gravity beer. A beer that is 1.070/1.007 is going to taste a lot different than a beer that is 1.060/1.012. But if your FG is also a little high, you might not be able to tell that there is a little extra alcohol in there.