PDA

View Full Version : Hard cider or Cyser ?

stonehedger
02-02-2011, 02:46 AM
So glad to find you all ! I have been making hard cider for years and always use honey ( 10 lbs. per 5 gallons). I had never heard about mead or cyser until a couple months ago. ( I should have gone to school more often ! ) Just wondering if I was making cyser the whole time ? I have bought a hydrometer and started a cherry melomel and have plans to make a lot of other meads with fruit I grew last summer and have canned and frozen. I am happy and excited to learn about this new world that I was so close to but never saw ! Thanks !

YogiBearMead726
02-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Welcome to "GotMead?", stonehedger! We're glad you found us too! ;D

From my limited knowledge of terminology, I would say that you have indeed been making cyser this whole time. I'm not sure whether "hard cider" or "cider" as some call it has any added sugar in it, but if it does, I would guess it's not honey.

Call it what you will, as long as it's tasty. :p

mmclean
02-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Hi there stonehedger,

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

Yeah, It's been cyser all along. ;D

akueck
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I think apple juice + sugar + yeast = apple wine, apple juice + honey + yeast = cyser, and apple juice + yeast = cider.

TheAlchemist
02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
So glad to find you all ! I have been making hard cider for years and always use honey ( 10 lbs. per 5 gallons). I had never heard about mead or cyser until a couple months ago...

Welcome Aboard.
You're a natural, stonehedger.
Looking forward to your work...