PDA

View Full Version : Rebottling

bringdownthesystem
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I made my first batch of JAOM, all is well and it tastes amazing like white grape juice...with alcohol. Very nice, was a little cloudy. I wasn't thinking or didn't understand about the letting it fully clear before bottling.

Over the course of fermenting, I strained once through a funnel to get the big fruit juices out, few weeks later I siphoned and got most of the liquid but lost a bit as well which made me sad. Then after a few more weeks I had poured through a funnel with a mesh wire strainer in it to get out the last few big seed pieces/few grapes etc. and that had a hose on it so it didn't oxidize so bad. I let it sit in that container with the spigot for a few more weeks.

Then I bottled, but like I say wasn't all the way cleared...

Now it all seems fine, except I see a little sediment after a day or two, and when I slowly flip the bottles I see it like a little cloud into the mead, and then sink back to the bottom. :(

Can I ReBottle somehow?

Here is a few pictures, first one is the second container I went to, then bottles and a glass of it.

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/photo01111947.jpg/
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/photo01312315.jpg/
http://img145.imageshack.us/i/photo01312316.jpg/

Chevette Girl
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Welcome to our wonderful addiction, bringdownthesystem!

First, the folks who ACTUALLY know what they're doing will ask you to post or reference your recipe and procedures any time you're having a problem with a batch, JAOM refers to Joe's Ancient Orange, not Joe's quick pyment, so if you did anything other than follow Joe's Pyment recipe to the letter, they'll want to know how you deviated.

Also, how long ago did you start this batch? A month ago? Two? I've had the Joe's Ancient Orange clear up in as little as a month, or sometimes take six.

And as you've seen, bottling too early produces sediment in the bottles. You have a couple of options at this point, you could uncork all the bottles and pour them back in one container, let it settle out for another month, and bottle again, or you could let the bottles sit a month or two and then carefully pour off the clear stuff from each bottle into another bottle, or you could just accept that your pyment's going to be a bit cloudy and when you open a bottle, decant it into another bottle and pour into glasses from the second bottle. If you drink it relatively quickly it shouldn't affect the taste.

The other risk with bottling early is that you may be getting some carbonation if the fermentation wasn't finished, which can at best give you fizzy wine, at worst, severe injury from exploding bottles, so be careful next time you open a bottle and if there is any fizz in the mead, either refrigerate what's left immediately, or open all bottles and put them back in a container to let them finish, and bottle when it's clear.

Don't be discouraged! I'm sure there's still a purple mark on the ceiling of my old apartment when I bottled my very first wild grape wine too early, thankfully I was lucky and it only popped the cork and turned the corner of my kitchen purple. ;D Oh, and I love those teardrop shaped bottles!! Where did they come from?

bringdownthesystem
02-02-2011, 06:23 PM
oh ok, thanks. Well that's really all I was wondering was if it was safe to repour like that and buy new corks and redo. Also I think the tear shaped one was from hobby lobby or similar? Big blue one came from ren faire.

Thanks for the welcome and answer.

Chevette Girl
02-02-2011, 10:53 PM
As long as everything's properly sanitized, you're good.

wayneb
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
BTW - Under this year's relaxed entry rules for the Mazer Cup, those teardrop shaped bottles are perfectly legal for entries. In fact, they are encouraged (since I'll be able to claim them after the comp and re-use them!!). ;D

bringdownthesystem
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Ha. Duly noted.;D