• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

rubber aftertaste !?

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildbill001

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2010
Bottle my first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange last night. Twas only a bit short of a gallon so I had a partial bottle that I sampled. I know it is still very young (only 3 months old). Still really sweet and high alcohol taste which I expected.

What I didn't expect was an aftertaste that I can only describe as "rubbery". Kinda like water would taste from a garden hose on a hot summer day. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be? I've used the same equipment, hoses, etc., for my cider earlier in the year and it didn't have this aftertaste. I'm hoping it will go away with more aging.

Bill

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
Did you let it breathe a bit before tasting?

This is a common taste in young meads, though, honestly 3 months of age seems long enough to mellow most of it, but I am speaking from very limited experience.

Try letting it breathe and if the rubber taste recedes, it should age out.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Did you make any modifications to the recipe as printed?

I had one modified JAO do this (black raspberry), it tasted like rubber stopper smells, only that particular stopper has been in service through several batches before and since, with no other occurrences of rubber-flavoured wine... Another suggestion is to try treating it with copper (either a clean piece of plumbing copper pipe or a penny that was still made of real copper scrubbed till shiny), but it didn't work on mine. And age hasn't seemed to do much for it, although I haven't tried letting it breathe, perhaps I should go pour a glass and experiment :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
A rubber smell/taste can be imparted by certain mercaptans and disulphides, too. Although this generally isn't a problem with Joe's recipe (since it is balanced enough with nutrients so as not to stress the yeast excessively during fermentation), in other recipes, when nitrogen is limited, some yeasts can produce sulphides. Once those sulphides react with ethanol, mercaptans and eventually disulphides are produced. They do smell nasty.

Mercaptans will respond to the copper treatment (as Chevette Girl mentioned), but disulphides do not -- they will require a combined copper/ascorbic acid treatment, and they can take months to finally resolve. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the problem doesn't go away.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Copper and ascorbic acid, huh? Well, I know what to try next time I dig out a bottle, thanks wayneb!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Right! Just so you know, disulphides are a more reduced form of mercaptans (sometimes called polymercaptans). While copper is able to react directly with mercaptans in order to form copper sulphide (which drops out of solution), it won't react to disulphides. In order for the copper to remove disulphides you need to add an oxidizing catalyst that breaks the polymercaptan bonds. That's what the ascorbic acid does for you. Here's a really good article discussing the process:
http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wcoppersulfate.pdf

wildbill001

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2010
Interesting--Learn something all the time

I'm gonna open another bottle this weekend. If it is still "rubbery", then I'll try treating it.

Thanks for all the info !

Bill

wildbill001

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2010
It Lives !

I know I'm resurrecting an old post but I'm so happy I could just bust :eek:

I have had my JAO variant aging away in bottles for just over 6 months now, hoping and praying that the rubber-stopper aftertaste would go away.

Well, this past weekend I am happy to report, I cracked open a bottle and was very pleasantly surprised by HOW GOOD IT WAS! Better yet, even my wife liked it (although it was still a bit sweet for her).

The moral of the story: When in doubt, let it age!

Reactions: TheAlchemist

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
You know, I think that describes pretty well the taste I... well, tasted, in my raspberry JAO variant. It is very young, and my more aged batch doesn't have it. Maybe it'll just age out... Very informative!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns