• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Homemade Braggot made at the Whitehouse

Barrel Char Wood Products

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Anyone else catch this about the super bowl party at the Whitehouse?

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/02/white-house-honey-aleand-obama-super.html

“Brewed with one pound of honey from this year's 160-pound harvest from the White House Bee Hive, the Ale was made by an unnamed White House chef who is a home-brewing enthusiast. The President, First Lady, and their guests sampled the special suds for the first time this evening. The label on the bottle reads "Brewed With White House Honey."”

More on the same story …

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/02/president-first-lady-host-white-house.html

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I really dig how much they push gardening and such, it's a little silly for politicians to be role models, but they are, and it's good to see them pushing stuff like that (and a beehive? Excellent!).

As soon as I buy a house (hopefully in Vancouver) the grass is GONE. It'll all be garden, with a chicken coop for high quality free range eggs in the back.

But erm, yes, on topic - homebrewing at the White House! Woohoo!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I think I should apply to be the White House brewer! Talk about a dream job.

Golddiggie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2010
Nashua, NH (USA)
photo.golddiggie.com
You'll probably have to brew an insane number of different brews to keep them all 'happy'... Or, just brew a couple of different recipes and just label them different for each person. :D They're so used to deceit that chances are no one will even notice.

Of course, with how much the typical politician drinks, you'll need to brew very large batches to keep up with demand...

I do find that just one pound of honey, in a 5 gallon batch of beer, is barely detectable... Even if you add it post primary fermentation activity (after a week or so) it's really just a hint. So, chances are, they didn't really taste much honey flavor (if any) in that brew...

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I really dig how much they push gardening and such, it's a little silly for politicians to be role models, but they are, and it's good to see them pushing stuff like that (and a beehive? Excellent!).

As soon as I buy a house (hopefully in Vancouver) the grass is GONE. It'll all be garden, with a chicken coop for high quality free range eggs in the back.

But erm, yes, on topic - homebrewing at the White House! Woohoo!

Love your HouseInVancouver dream!

I didn't know they kept *bees* at the White House?!

How awesome is that?

The more I read in Pollan's In Defense of Food the more grateful I am that they're keeping an organic garden at the White House. Let's hear it for whole foods.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns