• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Shipping Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

darthbooger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2010
Some Military Base
So im wondering where would I find laws concerning shipping homenade wine/mead? Im only wondering for the sake of all of you excellent home mead makers that want to share you lovely mead with me here in San Antonio... =] And I am thinking about sending some of my bottles to family too far away to visit. Anyone have any experience with this?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
It's illegal with USPS, so you'll have to use UPS, FedEx, or DHL (or another private shipping company).

I wish I could remember where, but I know this has been asked before. Try searching for FedEx, or something about shipping.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
UPS doesn't allow shipping of alcoholic beverages,
FedEx or DHL might be the same. I can see one
side of it, it would be very easy to send alcohol
to minors via private delivery if their regulations
allowed it.

I've heard it advised that sometimes the way to
ship your fine meads to friends is to go to an
outlet UPS branch. Sometimes local stores
having nothing to do with package delivery
handle UPS delivery. Since it's not their trade,
they usually don't ask questions, cheerfully
stamp your package and it's on its way.

--

darthbooger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2010
Some Military Base
I was thinking about using one of those little ups stores so thats cool, if anyone wants to test this theory I can give you my address, lol thanks guys as always any more insight is welcome!
thanks again gm
eddie

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
I shipped some mead off to the Mazer Cup yesterday via Fedex. I showed up with an already-taped box. All he asked was, is there anything breakable in here? I told him glass, then of course he had to shake it to make sure I had packaged it well.

He didn't ask about the specific contents at all, and if he had, I believe yeast samples were what I was going to mention. I hear marinade works too.

darthbooger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2010
Some Military Base
Cool appreciate it! That one is good news. Thanks again, I think im going to try and find someone on here willing to swap bottles with me sometime down the road.

yasuke

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2009
I ship a LOT. I actually did a topic on shipping for our American Wine Club yesterday. Coloradowinelub.net

USPS No
UPS Mailbox outlets no.
UPS Direct if you have an actual UPS loation they can ship YES.
Your local brew store more than likely carries the ability to ship.
Fed Ex Yes.

What I advise is getting ULine Wine Shippers. They are sturdy and secure and totally non detectable to the counter staff as to the box contents.

You can ship home made wines.

For American Wine Society clubs/chapters we use the following label when shipping for competitions.

Attention
Food Samples for evaluation
No Commercial Value- not perishable
Conforms to IRS and FDA
Not Taxable per 27CFR24.75
HANDLE AS GLASS

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Thanks, that's some good information for anyone participating in the group brews... I'm going to have some fun with the international leg of the journey though...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns