PDA

View Full Version : The 4th generation spew? Are flies better than us?

Smarrikåka
02-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Sometimes when I think too much about meadmaking (perhaps after having too much of it) I think about how mead comes to be, and what sometimes happens to it after it's gone. I rarely find it a good idea to share those thoughts because it'd probably put mead in a bad light. But I really am tempted a lot of times, and this feels like the best place for it.

So here goes:

1st generation spew: Water falls from the sky, and into the buds of flowers. The flowers consume this water, but not all of it. Some of it they spew out again in the form of nectar.

2nd generation spew: Bees visit flowers with nectar in them. They consume this nectar, but not all of it. Quite a bit of it they spew out again in the form of honey.

3rd generation spew: Yeast who comes in contact with honey in an enviornment where they can prosper, will consume this honey, but not all of it. A lot of it they spew out again in the form of mead.

4th generation spew: Humans will consume mead, at least once they've been convinced of its great qualities, but if they drink too much they won't consume all of it. Some of it they might spew out in the form of spew.

Now, flies will eat this 4th generation spew that we leave behind, which kind of puts them above us in the "spew chain" and that goes for the "food chain" too, since they will eat our corpses.

mccann51
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
My only contention would be that flies are not necessarily the only organisms that would consume the 4th generation spew.

Smarrikåka
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
My only contention would be that flies are not necessarily the only organisms that would consume the 4th generation spew.

True, though flies are among the more visual and common connoisseurs of this. They're also very well-equiped in terms of getting to the scene quickly.

AToE
02-13-2011, 04:31 PM
:) This was a great first post for me to read today!

kudapucat
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Such philosophical debate first thing on a Monday morning.... I think I like it, but can't concentrate wnough to be sure ;-)

mmclean
02-13-2011, 07:04 PM
That's O.K. kudapucat, remember it's still Sunday over here. :)