PDA

View Full Version : Naming your brews

chiguire
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
On the morning bike ride commute, I was pondering how I go about naming brews, and how others might approach it.

It seems like there are a lot of naming styles; some go for the play on words, others try to conjure images from the past, while others may be more straight forward and direct. What is your style?

wayneb
02-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I play with words as much as I do with the mead itself - this is supposed to be play, anyway! ;)

AToE
02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I just name them what they are usually, so pretty much un-named! I'm just absolutely terrible at naming them, and unless it's a recipe I think is going to be a repeat I don't bother naming it.

wildoates
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Most of them are named after the cats in one way or another, but the cyser was named for my late MiL, who died the week we started it.

Some aren't even named because I'm not as clever as Wayne is. :D

mkshfr
02-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I usually name my brews from something random I see... I made a hoppy beer with my brother on Easter last year and called it Hoppy Easter... another time we saw a ferrett run across the back yard and named our beer ... wild ferrett ale...its fun to name them from random things

epetkus
02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I normally don't name them, but rather "describe" them.

However, with the Mazer cup entries, there is a name field, so I just winged it with things similar to what was made.

Eric

TheAlchemist
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I love naming my brews...and I've only done two so far

Pumpkin Pie
and
Betelgeuse

Spontaneous Inspiration!
Maybe that will be the name of a future brew...

akueck
02-26-2011, 02:15 AM
My creativity (such as it is) is spent on things besides naming, so I also go the "describe it" route: Pale Ale, Cacao Mead, etc. I really should start naming these things, but I'll need a "brand consultant" to help out.

Golddiggie
02-26-2011, 02:37 AM
I usually play either on what they are, or what they remind me of...

Such as my first brew, a honey porter, which no light could penetrate, or be seen entering, was called "Black Hole Sun"... Had a nice warming effect to it, hence the 'Sun' aspect...

My first barleywine (an accidental one at that) is called "Sweet Oblivion" since it's 9.7% and a bit on the sweet side...

My first old ale, is really smooth, and only about 8.1% ABV, so it's named "Dirty Old Man"...

My ESB, where my mash was F'd up and I didn't hit my target OG, and had more bitterness early on (when first tasting it) got the name "Hoppy Accident"... :D

The brew that's almost two weeks in primary, which is a Strong Scotch Ale, with honey malt, has a working name of "Honey Scotch"... I know, not very creative, but a bit of a word play... I might change the name on that one before it's in bottles too long (before they get labled at the very least)...

Brewing a cream ale tomorrow that is getting some honey malt added (~7% of the grain bill), with no real special name yet... Will see how that one comes out... It will be on the strong side, probably at least 6% ABV...

I still have my Mocha Madness mead still in process...

I do need to work on coming up with better names for things... We'll see how things progress...

Chevette Girl
02-26-2011, 02:59 AM
I put all my creativity into coming up with my recipes, so I tend to go for descriptive names rather than creative names... that way when I dig a bottle of something out of the cellar 3 years later, I don't have to look it up in the brewlog to find out what the heck I'm drinking :)

TDMooney
02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I put all my creativity into coming up with my recipes, so I tend to go for descriptive names rather than creative names... that way when I dig a bottle of something out of the cellar 3 years later, I don't have to look it up in the brewlog to find out what the heck I'm drinking :)

Agreed, I might tweek it a little but for the most part the name is just the major ingredients I used

Tannin Boy
02-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Agreed, I might tweek it a little but for the most part the name is just the major ingredients I used

Same here too.
I think the home made label for the bottle is the cool creative side of the journey for what may be held within?

TB

BBBF
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I give my meads generic names until I send them into a competition. So most of them are labeled Strawberry '09, Appricot/Raspberry '10, etc.

I have a chaulkboard on my keggerator, so I try to me a little more creative. A play on words for the style or ingredients is my first goal.

Next would be to mention something that happened during the brew day. For example, I justed kegged my Snow Day Irish Red. I have no idea what I'll do if I like this recepie and make it again when I'm not in the middle of a blizzard.

And if all else fails, I just go with the generic description of what it is. Kentucky Common, Gluten Free IPA, etc.

chiguire
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
another time we saw a ferrett run across the back yard and named our beer ... wild ferrett ale...

Ha! I like that.

All very different approaches. I enjoy hearing about them all.

gray
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm boring. I just number mine.

Chevette Girl
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm boring. I just number mine.

I really should start tagging batches with a number too... would prevent such problems as I had last year when I went flipping through my log book to figure out what I'd just bottled and discovered that it was "already" bottled... so I've got two blueberry second run mels bottled the same year (different month) that both show the same start date on their labels :p I have at least started listing the date on the name tags now (I use leftover lick-and-stick wine labels that came with a kit to label my carboys, saves me the problem of what happens when the cardboard tags I used to attach to the airlock fall off :rolleyes:)

gray
02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I really should start tagging batches with a number too...

Each batch I do actually gets two numbers. I do an "Overall Brew Number" and a "Brew Batch Number". The first represents a unique recipe and the second is used to identify each batch of that recipe. So the second batch of my third brew recipe gets a "3 - 2 ". Any more information than that and I have to go back to my log. I do include a "Name" field in my log book just in case, but I haven't used it yet.

Medsen Fey
02-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm with Wayne on liking the word-play, puns, and whatever else I can come up with to make them interesting sounding. I just like to have as much fun with it as I can.

M63Ural
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM
My best named brew came from and accident and experimenting with adding honey to ale. I made 3 batches at the same time. The honey ale was batch 2 the first batch got plain caps, batch 2 got 1 stripe from the perm marker, batch 3 got 2 stripes ( usually the ale did not sit around long enough to need identification) I was shopping at the brewstore and was going to make my fav extract red ale, bought dry malt extract (on sale im cheap) didnt even think that the recipie was for syrup. Then added about 3lbs of honey to try a honey ale a 5 gal batch. It ended up about 7.5%, smooth, very tasty and kicka$$. We called it 1 Stripe Ale. I still make it. I always wanted to make lables for it, never have gotten around to it. Dad suggested a muscular arm holding a beer with a green short sleeve and private stripe, and a Airborne tattoo. He said he would have liked it when on R&R. (I was born at Ft Brag)

Jim

wayneb
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
That is great imagery! I'd say go find an artist to work it up as label art - that's a winner!!

TheAlchemist
03-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm with Wayne on liking the word-play, puns, and whatever else I can come up with to make them interesting sounding. I just like to have as much fun with it as I can.

I like the word play business, too.

Tiwas
03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Mine will be called "Honning-Mjd" (Norwegian for honey mead, so put quite a bit of thought into that one - I think it's important to stand out from the crowd :p ) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1761845882750&set=a.1002711784872.677.1137158256

YogiBearMead726
03-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm a bit all over the place on this one. All my mead experiments get named just what was used to make them. Then my beer experiments I like a good pun or play on the style name. But ultimately, I will name my creations based on relation to my brewery name. There seems to be no end to creative names, just as I'm sure there is no end to the creativity of mead makers. ;)

wildoates
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine will be called "Honning-Mjd" (Norwegian for honey mead, so put quite a bit of thought into that one - I think it's important to stand out from the crowd :p ) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1761845882750&set=a.1002711784872.677.1137158256

Like this? :D My DiL tells me this means "nice" bee honey. I didn't buy it, should have. Next time I go I will.

Tiwas
03-03-2011, 03:10 AM
Like this? :D My DiL tells me this means "nice" bee honey. I didn't buy it, should have. Next time I go I will.

Yeah, "snill" means "nice", "kind", "helpful" :)

RightHookCook
03-03-2011, 06:47 AM
calling my 1st batch Old Rusty , 1. rusty in colour 2. my other half is pregnant and for some reason the bump has got the nickname rusty! lol dont ask me how or why!

TheAlchemist
03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
calling my 1st batch Old Rusty , 1. rusty in colour 2. my other half is pregnant and for some reason the bump has got the nickname rusty! lol dont ask me how or why!

May "Rusty" turn out marvelously (both of them!).

RightHookCook
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
May "Rusty" turn out marvelously (both of them!).

thanks mate ;D

wildoates
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, "snill" means "nice", "kind", "helpful" :)

And tasty?! ;D

wildoates
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
thanks mate ;D

Name the booze after the baby or the baby after the booze?:rolleyes:

Tiwas
03-04-2011, 02:29 AM
And tasty?! ;D

Hopefully, it'll *be* tasty. The name, however, doesn't imply it, and "snill" wouldn't translate to anything close to "tasty" :)

TheAlchemist
03-18-2011, 08:30 PM
For me, sometimes the name comes first. Then I have to think of a brew that goes with the name.

wy_white_wolf
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Joe's Basturd Cousin - That's JAOM when I use wine yeast and it ends up not as sweet and a whole lot stronger.

TheAlchemist
04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I've come to realize that a potential brew doesn't make it to my "To Do" list until I have the idea for both the brew and the name.

Echostatic
04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Hm, naming... I never really thought about it before. On my first batch of mead, a fairly standard JAO, I put my creativity into the label graphic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/e0a3e4fb.jpg

I figured an orange wearing a viking helmet with a honeycomb backdrop would summarize this mead well! Now that I'm experimenting with recipes, maybe I'll get creative with the naming too.

Medsen Fey
04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/e0a3e4fb.jpg

I really like the label. :icon_thumleft:

PitBull
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I often describe where the ingredients originate or memories they invoke.

Northeast Southwest Cyser: from fresh-pressed local apple cider (near Pittsburgh) and desert blossom honey (Tempe, AZ)

Lake Erie Concord Pyment: wine region where the grapes were grown.

Not My Brother's Mead: an off-dry to semi-sweet traditional mead meant be nostalgic. I have a brewlog in progress on this one.

THawk
04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
I've named my 2 brews after what I hope they'd turn out to be, though I think I need work on the creativity side on the second:

a. Apple Cyser - Liquid Apple Pie: basically took what's normally in apple pie (minus the crust) and threw them into a fermenter. The only thing I didn't consider is the warm weather where I am.

b. Blueberry Melomel - (need work on this one): this one I drew some inspiration from someone on the stormthecastle site but it also reminded me of "bluebeery ale" from Boston Beer Works. Not quite sure what I'm gonna call this one...

PitBull
04-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Blueberry Melomel - (need work on this one): this one I drew some inspiration from someone on the stormthecastle site but it also reminded me of "bluebeery ale" from Boston Beer Works. Not quite sure what I'm gonna call this one...
Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to make a one gallon expermential batch of Bluebeery Mel, a hopped blueberry melomel. Sounds like an odd combination, but if it works for beer, it may work for mead.

To quote a wise old cook who literally fed tens of thousands of soldiers in the Korean War (my dad): "If you follow the recipe and it tastes like sh*t, then it's supposed to taste like sh*t." my own TV show called "$@#&* My Dad Said"]

mmclean
04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to make a one gallon expermential batch of Bluebeery Mel, a hopped blueberry melomel. Sounds like an odd combination, but if it works for beer, it may work for mead.

A bluebeery Braggot? Hmmm...