• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question about capping

Barrel Char Wood Products

aalmand

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 26, 2011
Im pretty new to this so if this is an obvious question sorry. Im following "Joes Ancient Orange and Spice Mead" recipe and there is one thing Im not sure about. At any time during the fermentation process am I supposed to cap the carboy. I know you dont do it right away because it can burst, but am I supposed to leave the airlock on the entire time untill the 2 month fermentation period or is there somewhere in between that time that you cap it?

Thanks

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Welcome to GotMead!

Leave the airlock on the entire 2 months, and do NOT cap it.

I hope it turns out great for you!

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Welcome to GotMead!

Leave the airlock on the entire 2 months, and do NOT cap it.

I hope it turns out great for you!

Aalmand,

Welcome to GotMead!
Chiguire has a good answer to your question.
Don't feel intimated with your questions as many here are quite experienced and will help you. There is a newbie section that you can peruse at your leisure and is most helpful to some basic questions you will have as time goes on. But most of all hope you enjoy one of the best forums for fermenting that there is on the net with respect to mead...

TB

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
I second TB's advice on reading the Newbee Guide. Take note of the part on bottling. Lot's of good reading on here.

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

And to meadcrafting.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns