PDA

View Full Version : Yeast... a book

chiguire
02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I am currently reading "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" written by Chris White (president of White Labs) and Jamil Zainasheff

I am about half-way through and I am loving it. I think that the information in the book is valuable to mead and wine makers as well as beer brewers, but the book is obviously geared toward beer brewers.

A really worthwhile read and I am just passing along a recommendation.

akueck
02-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Saw this book listed online. Perhaps I should pick up a copy. I've learned a fair bit from Jamil through the Brewing Network podcasts.

chiguire
02-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Saw this book listed online. Perhaps I should pick up a copy. I've learned a fair bit from Jamil through the Brewing Network podcasts.

I think that the sections on phenol, fusel and ester productions are worth it. I also really gained a lot from the section on pitching rates and starter design.

And again, I have only read about half. It is a very geeky and science driven book and I like that very much.

skunkboy
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
This book has ended being the current brewing book in my car for when I need something to read for a short time, and so far I would say that I'm enjoying it and finding it informative.

TDMooney
02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm definetly buying this book, I have been looking for something like this for a while

Chevette Girl
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
That's definitely going on my husband's "if you can't think of anything better than bubble bath for Xmas/my birthday, I'd actually USE this" list.... right beside Mr. Schramm's Compleat Meadmaker :) Thanks for mentioning it!

elowe
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Great book, definitely highly recommended.. I sped read it the first time, and went back last weekend and re-read it in depth. Lots of useful tidbits!

biochemedic
03-01-2011, 02:32 AM
yeah, nice recommendation...and not that expensive! I'm ordering one as soon as I need something else that will get me up to the minimum purchase amount for free super saver shipping from amazon!