PDA

View Full Version : How long does mixed starsan stay sanitized?

Tiwas
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm not worried about the starsan on my spray bottle, but I have some in an open container for rinsing and sanitizing larger things - how long will that last? Is it enough to just add a couple of drops of starsan into it to make it good again?

akueck
03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
As long as the pH is below 3.0, it is still good. It will last longer if you mix it with distilled water than with tap water. If you mixed it some time ago, just check the pH and you'll know if you need to replace it. I would recommend replacing it entirely rather than trying to "medicate" it by adding more concentrate.

wayneb
03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
There isn't a hard and fast expiration of Star San working solution. In general, if the mixture remains clear and its pH is at or lower than 3.0, then it is considered effective. Star San becomes cloudy over time when it is mixed with naturally "hard" water, since the minerals in the water (calcium carbonate, primarily) will react with the organic acids in the Star San, and raise the mixture's pH. Generally speaking, if the mixture is visibly cloudy, then the pH is too high for it to function as a sanitizer any longer.

Tiwas
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM

wildoates
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I always seem to find cat hair in mine for some reason.
:icon_scratch:

skunkboy
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Your cat is sanitizing it's tongue in the starsan? :-)

wildoates
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Cats, and only God knows how that hair manages to get in there. Sheesh.

I usually toss what's in the bucket if it starts getting cloudy--so far so good.

Fisher kel Tath
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
about 24hrs in my house, water PH is around 8 last i checked, which is why I use bottled water (spring not distilled) for all my brewing.

Tiwas
03-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Regarding cat hair - that just means your dogs aren't doing their jobs! :op

My dog wanted to smell my must last night after I told him to stay away he didn't even come back into the kitchen. Guess he thinks he's banned :p

When it comes to the star san, I'll just whip up a new batch in the morning and use it throughout the day. If I just make a liter, it won't be too expensive.

icedmetal
03-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I always seem to find cat hair in mine for some reason.
:icon_scratch:

Same here! Now we keep a lid on the bucket. It helps, but I still end up changing the starsan for visible contaminants before it's cloudy every time.

wildoates
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I've been using the same bottle of starsan for nearly two years, and it's not all that expensive, so I don't feel all that bad when I toss a cat (and dog) hair contaminated batch.

Dang pets!

JayH
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I made myself a handy little gadget, It is 2.5 feet of 2" inside diameter PVC. This has a cap glued into the bottom and then a threaded fitting and one of the steel fittings to allow you to attach the end of a piece of pipe to the wall. This acts as a weighted base so it doesn't fall over. Then I put another threaded fitting on top that allows me to cap it. This keeps oxygen out along with the cat hair. It means I just mix enough and can reuse it for a while. It is perfect for sanitizing my wine thief, tubing, siphons, air stones etc.

Whole picture (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Zah4cVS-y20Vh7CAhpZTtaxpGICkxeBAeQ0amjd7nqk?feat=directlin k)

Base (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cyVzXLe_a6AUBTQM0eGgCqxpGICkxeBAeQ0amjd7nqk?feat=d irectlink)

Top (hhttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-UiztOS8yL5NgxOEamzSzqxpGICkxeBAeQ0amjd7nqk?feat=di rectlink)

And it was almost all scrap headed for the trash bin.

Cheers
Jay

TheAlchemist
03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
... I don't feel all that bad when I toss a cat (and dog) hair contaminated batch.

I'm getting the idea that having a feline family member is a risk factor for becoming a mead maker...

Count me IN.

TheAlchemist
03-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I made myself a handy little gadget...
Cheers
Jay

Clever idea, Jay. The photo helps mucho.