PDA

View Full Version : How come Nobody told me?

Allen Brown
03-03-2011, 02:12 PM
So I have a 6 gallon batch in the primary, 2 days in. I wanted to bump the SG up by .005, and also stir the batch to get more oxygen to the yeast.

So I added 1# of honey, got out my drill & paddle stir stick, and let 'er RIP!

It only took seconds before it looked like Mt. St. Helens, bubbling out of the top & all over the floor!

I guess I should have stired it gentler by hand, Huh?

chiguire
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
It has happened to all of us...
Is this in a bucket or a carboy?

Doing the primary in buckets is easier to avoid this but caution still must be taken. I use a drill, but I normally just to slow sporadic pulses until it degases and then I slowly ramp up from there.

moonie
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Keep in mind that the CO2 coming out of the airlock is actually the excess that is coming out of solution. The mead/must has become supersaturated with CO2, like a soda. Think of it this way, you just shook up the beer/soda and opened it.

Allen Brown
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I can see that. I have it in a 6 gallon glass carboy. I wish I had a video of it.

I definitely need to mop before the wife gets home! :rolleyes:

capoeirista13
03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
thissss is why I primary in a big bucket

Chevette Girl
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
So welcome to the club of those who have experienced a MEA (Mead Explosion Accident), or Meadsplosion...

Buckets rock... happy mopping... ;D

Fisher kel Tath
03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I've never had a blow up from stirring.

and only had one beer blow off it's lid do to hyper-ferment.

Tiwas
03-04-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm just happy I live by myself, and that my dog has understood that "very bad things happen if I touch dad's new pet". While manually stirring last night, the spoon slipped and I now have a sticky floor - and a sticky fridge side wall :p

wildoates
03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I primary in a bucket for several reasons, one of them being to avoid a MEA. I will admit to coming very close, when stirring down a cap, I stirred up the CO2, and it foofed up very close to the brim of the bucket (with me frantically yelling "go down, down down!!!"), not quite making it to crisis overflow level. I bought a couple of bigger buckets. ;D

TheAlchemist
03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
"MEA"
Is that something like
"Mea Culpa?"