PDA

View Full Version : First time Mazer entry

meadmonkey
03-05-2011, 12:59 PM
So I just shipped my first ever entries to Mazer cup. Mostly into the melomel catagory, ?----berry, ?----berry, and ?----berry. They were my best brews last season, and my former mead master sent a bottle of my first official recipe thats now 2 years old into the methgylin category, a ?----. I really hope I do well but I know that competition will be stiff, mostly i look forward to the judges notes. Good luck to everyone that entered!

TheAlchemist
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM
So I just shipped my first ever entries to Mazer cup. Mostly into the melomel catagory, ?----berry, ?----berry, and ?----berry. They were my best brews last season, and my former mead master sent a bottle of my first official recipe thats now 2 years old into the methgylin category, a ?-----. I really hope I do well but I know that competition will be stiff, mostly i look forward to the judges notes. Good luck to everyone that entered!

Break a leg, Monkey!

Pack Mom
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
So I just shipped my first ever entries to Mazer cup. Mostly into the melomel catagory, ?----berry, ?----berry, and ?----berry. They were my best brews last season, and my former mead master sent a bottle of my first official recipe thats now 2 years old into the methgylin category, a ?-----. I really hope I do well but I know that competition will be stiff, mostly i look forward to the judges notes. Good luck to everyone that entered!

First off, best of luck to you and your meads! The Mazer Cup is some really stiff competition, and melomel is a very popular category.

Do check with your mead master though and confirm what category the spiced melomel was entered into to avoid disqualification. Below is a quote from an e-mail response I got from the Mazer Cup folks:

"As soon as you add more than one variable past the basic categorization (melomel, cyser, pyment, etc.) your mead should go into the open category. Your spiced cyser should go into the other mead category as would a spiced pyment, or spiced melomel, or a metheglin with chocolate added."

mmclean
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh man, I entered my Oaked ?----- Spice in the 25C category.

Ingredients: Standard description applies. A melomel is a standard mead made with the addition of other fruit or fruit juices. There should be an appealing blend of the fruit and honey character but not necessarily an even balance. A melomel can be made with a blend of fruits; however, a melomel that is spiced or that contains other ingredients should be entered as an Open Category Mead. Melomels made with either apples or grapes should be entered as Cysers and Pyments, respectively.

I haven't shipped them off yet.

Can I change my entry?

No reason to send them if they won't even be judged.

Pack Mom
03-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Oh man, I entered my Oaked ?----- Spice in the 25C category.

I haven't shipped them off yet.

Can I change my entry?

No reason to send them if they won't even be judged.

I believe you can, especially since you haven't sent them yet, but check the entry website and see if there is an 'edit entry' option. If all else fails, contact the Mazer Cup folks via the website and ask them directly.

Glad you found out before you sent your entries in! :)

mmclean
03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
No way to edit entry. Can I just re-enter and send the bottles in under the new record number?

Can anyone confirm this.

meadmonkey
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
well my mead master is the one who is sending in the bottle of mead as he is the one who has custody of it. He was a judge in 2009 for Mazer, I had suggested the open category, but he was insistent that it go into the methgelyn category. I brewed it but it was technically his bottle of mead, as we had traded meads. So i could only recomend where I thought it should go. I am looking forward to the stiff competition in Mazer, will let me truly know where I stand as a brewer in the grand scheme of it all.

wayneb
03-05-2011, 11:26 PM
No way to edit entry. Can I just re-enter and send the bottles in under the new record number?

Can anyone confirm this.
Go to the Mazer Cup website. Scroll down along the left side of the page to the list of contacts (blue text). Click on Home Competition and send an email detailing your entry, and what you want to change about it.

I'll see what I can do. ;D

wayneb
03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Oh, and BTW, everyone should read the BJCP style guidelines for all the mead categories before entering. They are very explicit and unambiguous. A link to the applicable style guidelines is on the MCI website. If you enter your mead in the wrong category, you will likely have some points docked since the BJCP rules are very specific, and the Mazer Cup is a BJCP sanctioned event, so we play by the rules.

Oskaar
03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
A couple of things here.

As Wayne mentioned read the BJCP guidelines on the Mazer Cup International website.

Go to the HOME COMPETITION RESOURCES menu selection which will drop down another set of selections. In that drop down list select BJCP STYLE GUIDELINES this link will open a set of very explicit and specific guidelines for the Mazer Cup International Mead Competition.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the guidelines and how they apply to the mead you have chosen to enter. If, after reading the guidelines you still have questions, do as Wayne said and go to the left-hand column of the Mazer Cup International website and click the HOME COMPETITION link which will spawn an email to the folks who oversee the home portion of the competition.

You should ask questions BEFORE entering in order to avoid issues, but don't worry because it's not the end of the world if you do mis-enter and let us know prior to the cutoff date of March 18, 2011. Send us specific information about your entry including your name, email, entry number generated by the entry form, the name of the mead, the type of mead it is, the category you mis-entered and the category that it should be in.

While we at GotMead.Com sponsor and oversee this event, you absolutely, positively need to use the resources on the Mazer Cup International website in order to ask questions or have issues resolved prior to the deadline date. Doing so will get your questions/issues directly to the people involved with the workings of the competition and will ensure your issues are addressed in a timely manner.

Posting on GotMead.Com, does not guarantee immediate action on your behalf.

Best of luck in the competition!

Petar Bakulic
Director of Operations, The Mazer Cup International
http://www.mazercup.com/images/mci-emaillogo.gif

mmclean
03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Go to the Mazer Cup website. Scroll down along the left side of the page to the list of contacts (blue text). Click on Home Competition and send an email detailing your entry, and what you want to change about it.

I'll see what I can do. ;D

Thanks Wayne,

But it seems my computer doesn't have the right mojo to open the links. :( Maybe someone could be so kind as to post or PM me the e-mail address. I had hoped to package this up today and send it off tomorrow.

wayneb
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks Wayne,

But it seems my computer doesn't have the right mojo to open the links. :( Maybe someone could be so kind as to post or PM me the e-mail address. I had hoped to package this up today and send it off tomorrow.

Check your PMs.

(Weird that you can't open the email links, but you were able to get to the entry pages....)

Wayne

mmclean
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks Wayne and TB,

I got the PMs Wayne and will e-mail you the information. Thank you.

yuanyelss
03-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Scroll down the page along the left side of the contact (blue text) in the list. Click to Home competition and send e-mail, details of your entry, and you want to change it.
Listen...

Medsen Fey
03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
And one more tip folks, please don't describe the details of your meads and which category they will be entered into as that could allow entries to be identifiable and defeat the purpose of blind tasting.

In the threads above, ?----- means I changed the names to protect the innocent.

wildoates
03-09-2011, 01:12 AM
I think that next year, when I hope to enter something, I'll be so nervous I'll have to use a pseudonym. :)

meadmonkey
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Sorry bout that wont do it again was jusrt excited about entering for first time