• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Lying in wait

Barrel Char Wood Products

fathand

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2009
Warren, Michigan
Did I just create a braggot bomb?

Last night I had some friends over and we bottled a dry stout and then a mead. I carbed them both, 4 oz of sugar in the stout and 5 oz clover honey in the Mead.

Specifications below.

Stout
OG 1.045
FG 1.010

Mead
OG 1.084
FG 1.000
Used K1V1116

On the last beer we bottled we were only able to fill up 3/4 of a 12 oz bottle. In the spur of the moment I thought it would be a great idea to top that bottle off with some of the mead. But now I am worried that I have a bomb on my hands.

I'd love to age this but I also don't want to have to worry about an exploding bottle.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Are you worried because the yeast used in the mead could potentially take the beer portion of the bottle even drier (I've seen this happen, the wine yeast goes further than the beer yeast sometimes, depends on what you used). What was the yeast used in the mead portion?

fathand

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2009
Warren, Michigan
I used K1V1116, so I am a little worried because it can go to 18%.

Right now it is in my basement where ambient temp is about 65 so I am thinking of letting it set for a few weeks and then throw it into the fridge.

Luckily it is only one 12 oz bottle

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well, the issue is less that it can go to 18% and that it might be able to ferment more of the "unfermentables" than the ale yeast was able to. That said, 1.010 is fairly dry for an ale, so it might be ok. I have seen EC1118 chew through an extra couple points above and beyond an ale yeast before though, so there is definitely some danger of going drier.

I'm not sure how much that priming sugar you added works out to though. That bottle has somewhere between 4oz and 5oz since it's a blend (is that per bottle or per how many gallons?).

Someone might be able to tell you how much pressure your priming sugar will gennerate (or maybe you know?). Then, if you're well below the safety tolerance for the bottles you might be totally fine even if the 1116 eats an extra couple points.

fathand

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2009
Warren, Michigan
Thank you both for the reassurance.

Medsen, so I know for the future how did you determine the volumes of CO2? I am familiar with online carbonation calculators however I am not sure how to handle it for two beverages that are mixed.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns