PDA

View Full Version : Score!

wildoates
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
So today and tomorrow are testing days for our 10th graders (and the 11th and 12th graders who haven't passed the high school exit exam yet), and even though I don't have tenth graders, I got lucky to be picked to administer the exam in my room anyway.

(For you non-teachers out there, that was extreme sarcasm).

One of my colleagues missed out on that lottery, so during the 3 hour testing period he took it upon himself to return order to the chaos that was our downstairs prep room, organizing and tossing a lot of stuff. He inexplicably came across TWO class carboys hiding under one of the tables, so guess what? I have two more carboys! Yay!

We have several plastic carboys that we use to store deionized water when it trickles out of the still, but nobody seems to know where the glass ones came from...or at least, nobody's fessin' up.

Score! Clearly I need to make more mead. :)

Chevette Girl
03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
And, if he's a drinker, reward your colleague's initiative for tidying your prep room with something that's passed through the new carboys!

wildoates
03-09-2011, 12:04 AM
He is, and I do owe him some mead. :)

YogiBearMead726
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
That's pretty awesome! My girlfriend's dad works for a local school district, and is always bringing home abandoned stuff. That said, most of it winds up in the garage, since none of it is very useful. The most useful things he brings home are unused reams of school letterhead paper. :rolleyes:

I guess this find really made up for administering such a wonderfully boring test. ;)

TheAlchemist
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
...We have several plastic carboys that we use to store deionized water when it trickles out of the still, but nobody seems to know where the glass ones came from...or at least, nobody's fessin' up.

Score! Clearly I need to make more mead. :)

Wait. You have a still. At a school?

Medsen Fey
03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
You have a still. At a school?

Sounds like I need to sign up for some adult education. :)

biochemedic
03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Wait. You have a still. At a school?

Yeah! I have to assume this is for producing distilled water for science experiments and/or doing science experiments?

skunkboy
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing the effects of alcohol on cognition don't count as proper experiments for this ... ;-)

wildoates
03-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah! I have to assume this is for producing distilled water for science experiments and/or doing science experiments?

This. Sorry, guys!

But...aren't you allowed to distill alcohol for scientific purposes?
:eek:

Medsen Fey
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes, if it is denatured.

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 02:42 AM
We did it in university chemistry lab, fractional distillation, known amount of ethanol, known amount of water, figure out the efficiency (how much ethanol was recovered and how pure was it)... now if only I could remember how efficient it actually was :)